Template check

gullikson

Hello all,

First, let me apologize right off if this has been covered before and is in archive material. I am getting ready to build the wings for my Long-EZ. I bought my plans back in 1983 and my original wing template pages were destroyed by water some time back. Before the were ruined though, I made very acurate copies on rather thin "onion" paper. I have had these copies rolled up for almost 26 years now and have no way to really verify if they have grown, shrunk, or otherwise distorted.

Let me get to the point. I went to Kinko's today and printed a full set of the Open-EZ templates. Most of the corner marks on the Open-EZ templates were nearly dead on. One page was off by less than .100" in the long direction. I assembled my "original" copies and the Open-EZ copies. When comparing the two sets, some were close and some were off. Both jig #5's matched up, my "original" jig #3 is at least 1/4" longer than the Open-EZ Kinkos copy.

Does anyone have an original, know to be accurate, set of wing jig templates that could help me determine which set of my templates, if either, is correct?

Suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I haven't cut mine yet. What pages are you concerned with and what measurements are you concerned with?

I would also compare your jig drawings to your airfoil (hotwire) templates.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

I haven't cut mine yet. What pages are you concerned with and what measurements are you concerned with?

TMann,

My only airfoil/hotwire templates are Open-EZ. It's a long unfortunate story about my original templates, and I won't bore anyone with it. I bought my cores from Eureka, so I didn't actually make hotwire templates.

Maybe I haven't read enough about this, or am reading too much into it but, the wing jigs must have enough tolerance in them to accomodate the lower skin after the shear web is layed up.

I'll check some more tomorrow for all of the templates that mistatch.

Thanks for the reply.

TMann,

Do you have original, uncut templates? I'm certainly no authority on paper shrinkage or distortion as it ages, hence part of my problem. I haven't spent the time to go through all of the archives to see what the source for the Open-EZ templates are.

I guess one of the best measurements to see if I am in the ballpark with either set of templates that I do have would be to get a diagonal (sort of) measurement from the middle of the lines (black drawing lines) at the leading edge at W.L. 17.4 to the trailing edge at W.L 17.4. Since your templates are not cut it would not really be practical to get these from you.

I may be making a bigger deal out of this than I need to since all of the trailing edges will be 4" off the floor with the T.E., shear web, and L.E. all strung in straight. It's just that it's a lot of work to make these wood templates very acurate, leveled, etc., only to find out they were made to the wrong size.

Can anyone provide the dimensions noted above for the four outboard templates??

:banana: