Oh No, He's been playing with AutoCAD again

Was fooling around today and came up with another contraption. Don't get into the "this cant work because...." !!! I am only fooling around but I like the look.

It's a twin Cozy with LongEZ type strakes and swept canard (of an increased size to support the front motor). The canard is effectively a 50% scale wing. It has two Jabiru 5100 engines.

post-1445-141090166229_thumb.jpg

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

It would work but it'd be like flying a Cozy IV with 350 lbs of ballast in the nose. Takeoff roll: 15,000'. Rotation speed 150 knots. :-)

-Kent

Ummm no, because the canard area is significantly bigger than a standard Cozy. That's one of the things I did think about. Standard Cozy has 15sq.ft of canard area, this baby has 30sq.ft. Prolly not enough, defiant has 50sq.ft but 30sq.ft looks cool.

Like I said, no real maths went into it and I certainly didn't accommodate the effect of sweep or the increased reynolds numbers due to increase chord.

Add to that the Jabiru has an installed weight (incl. starter, alternator, exhaust, ignition) of about 270lbs. That said I have also used the lighter engine in the rear, so that exacerbates the problem. Could hang the rear engine further out the back but the fuse is long enough as it is.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

It would work but it'd be like flying a Cozy IV with 350 lbs of ballast in the nose. Takeoff roll: 15,000'. Rotation speed 150 knots. :-)

-Kent

why would you think it would be a long takeoff? the defiant has a engine up front and they are known for there shorter takeoff roll and slower rotation speed. that is the one thing a defiant does do good. not a fast plane but a good lift and hauling aircraft. very cool to fly and you can setup your tent in the back seat.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years

very cool to fly and you can setup your tent in the back seat.

Soundz perfect for me. My wife says I can pitch a tent just about anywhere....

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

• 3 months later...

X-Plane will show you how that plane will fly, Raiki. Using PlaneMaker to enter your design into X-Plane is easier than using AutoCAD in the first place. Download my canard designs for X-Plane (VEZ, LEZ, Defiant, Cozy) for tips and methods of refinement. Search the www.x-plane.org Download Manager for my designs under the user name "vezePilot" there.