Potential Long-EZ purchase

usa35

I first wanted to say that the Long-EZ and experimental A/C info out there and on this forum is great! It has answered a lot of questions.

One question that isn't out there is what the typical process is for getting an insurance company to insure you. Do they typically require time in type? If so, how would one go about that since the plane doesn't have dual controls for an instructor (or is that even necessary?)?

I assume the Long-EZ qualifies as complex due to the retracting nose gear, but it is also experimental so does that matter? Just curious - I have a complex endorsement.

Thank you in advance.

-Mark

Most insurance companies usually start out with the standard "10 hours Dual". What this means, you need to find an instructor thats willing to sit in the back seat for 10 hours. Keep in mind that the instructor may know less about the plane than you do!!!!

Negotiate with the underwriter to change the language to "10 hours in type". Find an EZ pilot who's willing to sit in the back seat for 10 hours, and have them named on the Policy (This is how I normally do it when I'm checking someone out in a canard). They don't need to be an instructor.

If your willing to take the risk, you will be flying the first 10 hours without insurance.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

I took the risk and flew the first hours without time in type. I lived out in a remote area where there was not much to hit except for desert. I was also single and did not need to leave any benefits. Your circumstanses may vary.

One other thing you will need to do is join EAA and or AOPA. My agent said I'd be paying extra if I was not a member of those at least one of those groups.

Carl

I assume the Long-EZ qualifies as complex due to the retracting nose gear, but it is also experimental so does that matter? Just curious - I have a complex endorsement.

The definition of a complex aircraft is shown in FAR 61.31. To be complex, an aircraft must have retractable landing gear (how many of the total is not defined), flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller. Very few EZ's have CS or CP props, and none have flaps. Therefore, eve the CS propped EZ's with retracts all around aren't complex.

The airframes don't age like spam cans. A 20 year-old airplane can be as sound and beautiful as a new one but there are some things to check. Some good info here:

http://www.ez.org/articles.htm

You'd want a high time engine to be reflected in the price, though.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold