Victoria, Australia Fly-in

G'Day to all Australian Canardian fliers and builders,

There has been talk around the hangers and builders garages about what a great idea a local fly-in would be, so, I'm putting it out there!

I believe to keep it simple and just get as many people at one place at one time would be a great achievement, so I'd like to gauge how much interest there is to support such an activity. Initial thoughts are that it would be somewhere in Victoria (Mangalore, Ballarat etc) for builders and fliers. Interstate canard would be greatly encouraged, and who knows, a prize for the longest trip in (WA, North QLD).

Additional activities could be organised if people are interested (spot landing comp', swap meet etc), but as stated above, I'd just like to get a gauge of interest and start the wave of motivation. The year is racing to a close, so my initial thoughts are for sometime early next year (Australia Day long weekend?), but once again, post your thoughts.

Very keen to see response to this thread from interstate canards, so let's see if we can get a better turn-out than Cowra.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Unless something comes up, I'm in and so is VH-WEZ. My backseater should be in as well. We don't plan on staying more than an afternoon however.

Like I mentioned Bruce, I believe it's worthwhile mailing some letters and shooting some emails around to flyers and builders all 'round the country. The Cairns and Perth contingents are bigtime travellers and have been for 20+ years - people like John Atkinson, John Sabadina, Lindsay Danes, Bill Keehner etc Great people who deserve an invite more than anyone. New owners are a biggie - they need to be invited as much as anybody - vital info available. I'd even let the NZ'ers know it's on! I'm serious! from Rutan Vari-Eze to vari-ation, these are travelling machines and so are the people who build and fly them. Builders are certainly a massive focus. A swap meet is a good plan.

'If you build it they will come'.

- Wayne

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm

Hi Drew, certainly broadcast this using all known resources.

Wayne, yes as discussed I will be following up individually with Canardians in FNQ and WA. If you have an angle on Kiwi's (forum, points of contact etc), do let me know and I will follow-up accordingly.

Spread the word guys and let's see if we can get this up for some time in the new year. I'd like to set a date by no later than early/mid Dec', earlier if possible.

Bruce.

Need to nail down a location, and produce a flyer with registration details, camping details etc.. If I interstate or a long drive away I would be hesitant to give any positivity without them. Maybe something in airsport for free? Other aircraft types should come along if they desire.

My vote is Mangalore, with Seymour 10 minutes drive and good facilities including a hangar, shower blocks and kiosk. Weather is typically good as well north of the dividing range. BP fuel and oil available. Runways in good order. Best airfield in Vic in my opinion, and known to most.

I also vote for a fly market for parts, some forums, a BBQ brunch sat and sun and seymour pub dinner for those that book sat night. Sunday could be a spot landing contest, a kilo trial race, and rides. General flying throughout.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

• 3 weeks later...

Drew,

I'm planning on coming down - Ill see if I can muster up a few of the other builders from Qld to head down south!..

If your looking for someone to share the cost of an aircraft and/or piloting duty count me in.

Adrian Smart

Cozy IV #1453

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the planning progress...........

At this stage there are 14+ planning to come along and that currently includes 2 Cozy Mk4s, 2 Longez's, a Varieze, and 2 non-canard aircraft.

If you are reading this on this forum and haven't been in contact with me, please do ASAP as I am about to make all the bookings for accommodation, aircraft parking, and associated logistics.

If you know someone with a Rutan Canard and suspect they have not heard about our Canard Muster, what are you waiting for, let them know!!

At this stage it is looking like most people will be flying in on Sat' 24 Jan morning for a BBQ lunch, hanger talk and presentations that afternoon, dinner at a local pub that night. More of the same Sun' 25th morning, and people heading off later that afternoon. Being a long weekend, the Monday represents a good extra day if the weather is a little unco-operative. Mangalore is north of the divide, so the weather there is much more reliable anyway ;)

My thanks for those who have ready responded, and I look forward to getting back to you all soon with some details.

Cheers for now,

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

There is now a website for our Canard Muster!

http://canardmuster.webs.com/

This site has pretty much all the info for the fly-in and has a contact page to a central email account I will monitor and respond to peoples inquiries.

As you may have expected, the numbers for canards flying in has continued to grow, but that said, if you know some other EZ fliers, direct them to the website, and get them to give me a call.

Have a great Christmas all, and do book your accommodation sooner than later ;)

Cheers, and see you there!

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have info on accomodation in Seymour?

I may be taking my Wife and kids and need a place with a pool and a few activities close by to keep them amused while I spend most of the day at the airport. I have noticed 2 caravan parks. One is mentioned on the website. Both have cabins that seem sutable. One has a pool, but both seem uninspiring from a google earth photo. Maybe a Motel with a nice pool. Does the town have a community pool?

If I am by myself I just need a good bed.

If anyone has any info at all it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Chris,

I'm looking forward to seeing you at the fly-in.

I believe the pool at the airfield domestic area will be in operation, so that could provide some entertainment for the family. Apart from that I'm not sure what else is in the region for the kids and wife.

The website has recently been updated with more details, so please check it out when you get the chance.

Cheers,

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've just returned from the Fly-in and I can say it was a great time. Thanks to all who attended, it really made for a wonderful collective canard spirit.

I've attached a pic' of some of the fun at the Canard Corner.

Bryan will be adding the pic's to the www.canardmuster.webs.com website in the coming days. Drew will be placing some of his pic's on his cozy 1200 website soon as well.

Cheers,

Bruce.

post-1380-141090166261_thumb.jpg

Nice shot Bruce, comparing my basic plans build LE to Wayne's super machine. Easy to see how much longer the nose is on WEZ.

I did ask if he wanted to swap planes - Drew must have overheard, he's still laughing.

post-1364-141090166273_thumb.jpg

Dave

VH-JZE

He sure is laughing in your photo. Had he been at the beer?

Sorry I couldn't be there, but the holiday was nice.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

Bruce, congrats on a sensational job organising the fly-in for us all! I had a blast and I think everyone else did too!

We had great success with my Silver Bullet prop test on what must be the world's nicest MkIV - Super machine built and flown by Chris Byrne! He ordered the prop the next day, called the day after and Gary Hertzler had already glued up the blank! It will be the nicset prop you can lay your hands on.

Great to see Phil Heffernan (my old Deputy Vice Principal from Melbourne High School and good mate) arrive in his 25y.o. superb Vari Eze formerly VH-HPC and spend the day. That was the highlight for me as I don't get to catch up with Phil that much. Phil hotwired my foam cores for my wings back in about 1988!

Great to meet Dave, and everybody else. Great to catch up with Lindsay Danes (who better fly in next time or else!). Lindsay has VH-LDL which is about 23 years old, has a 320 conversion, and probably has more trips across the nullabour than anything but airliners... ;-)

Cheers

Wayne

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

Had he been at the beer?

Sorry, no spodgrog in in sight! Don't forget to mention that the person next to me (trying not to associate himself with me) is none other than Yair. It was a huge honour for him to attend. I'm pretty sure he gets the award for longest travel!

Give me a couple more days and I'll get some pics on my site.

And Yes, Wayne, I'll put Chris's cozy up there with the best. Stunning job. Thanks for the ride Chris. I lost count of how many flight Chris gave.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I just uploaded some pics to my website. There's a couple good ones in there.

http://www.cozy1200.com/geeklog/mediagallery/album.php?aid=16

or

http://tinyurl.com/bgmkuy

Also one of the photos is in Avweb's POTW. When I send photos in, I almost always make the top 5, but never the top prize. The top prize gets a hat. I've wanted one of those hats for couple years now. :P

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1305-full.html

enjoy.

Drew Chaplin (aka the Foam Whisperer)

---

www.Cozy1200.com - I'm a builder now! :cool:

---

Brace for impact...

I will second the the thanks to Bruce for a job well done. He JUST DID IT! And as a consequence quite a few builders came out of the woodwork for a look at some very nice aircraft. I think we had one of everything. Maybe next time if we can get a Cozy III and a Velocity for comparrison would be great. I gave a few rides, that was one of the main reasons I went. I have become a real enthusiast for these aircraft, especially since finishing it and its great to be able to share the pleasure. I just wish I had 3 front seats.

Wayne was good enough to unbolt his Hertzler Silver Bullet for me and I took it for a quick test. My test flights were not that scientific as I was giving rides at the same time however I think it is slightly faster than the Catto but at this stage I am not sure by how much. The most impressive thing is its smoothness. I have always had some vibration with my Catto and despite static and dynamic ballancing I have been unable to get rid of all of it, maybe one of the blades is slightly out. The Hertzler was smoother. I have always been happy with the performance of the Catto but I know I am going to be happier with the Hertzler. I will give it a thourough test when I get my Silver Bullet.

As Wayne said, my Silver Bullet is already being made. I emailed Gary, he responded when he woke up with an email and a formal order form. I gave him a ring once I woke up and he was already gluing together the blanks. Thats 14 hours since my first indication that I wanted one. Talk about good service.

A good idea and organisation by Bruce was turned into a good weekend by all those who turned up. Looking forward to seeing those who came without their plane arriving in their own in the years to come.

Also thanks to Wayne whos hangar was the base for the two days.