Long Ez with O-200

coyote

I have an almost unique Long-Ez with O-200. This config may look like crazy for some of you ... but it works pretty fine and by the time it allows cheap flying.

The bigger advantage is to have a light plane ... but i'd like to have it lighter !

I have a big doubt about the need for the mechanical fuel pump (it weights around 2 Lbs including the additional pipework). I also have an electrical pump (facet 40108) on the firewall.

Did any of you tried to remove this mechanical pump ? Is there any risk if i keep the electrical one ?

The Longeze was designed to have a mechanical and a electrical pump. I would not recommend that you remove either. I do not remeber if fuel will flow by gravity in a Longeze probably not that is why both fuel pumps are required. My .02 STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Had a friend with an RV-6 + O320H2AD that ran it with two facet pumps and no mechanical pump. The facet pumps are pretty reliable and he said this configuration was not unusual. They were sort of noisy though. I suppose it would be OK as long as any one pump would supply adequate fuel and you had a battery backup for them.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I have been flying a 0-200 equipped Long-Eze since November 2004. The 0-200 is turning a Great American prop 56/68. Static rpm is 2400 and max rpm is 2750. Fuel system is configured like the Vari-Eze - no fuel pump and fuel selector valve is located forward of the firewall at the lowest point. Fuel flow check as required by the plans is more that required. I have had no fuel system problems - do I recommend this fuel system to others, NO.

I know my EZ is not the fastest in the sky but it is fun and economical. Getting about 28-30 miles per gallon on 100LL (do not and will not use auto fuel) and still can blow the doors off a lot of that production stuff.

Dick Jones - builder/pilot of Miss EZ

I have an almost unique Long-Ez with O-200. This config may look like crazy for some of you ...

Erm, I think I'm missing something here, what is unique/crazy?

Glad you are enjoying your machine.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I have been flying a 0-200 equipped Long-Eze since November 2004. The 0-200 is turning a Great American prop 56/68. Static rpm is 2400 and max rpm is 2750.

Happy to see that there is some Long flying with small engine is the country of low fuel price (Even at 4 bucks a gallons, the fule in USA is 2 times cheaper than in any european country...).

My prop is 58/67, static is 2300 and max rpm is 2900

Fuel system is configured like the Vari-Eze - no fuel pump and fuel selector valve is located forward of the firewall at the lowest point. Fuel flow check as required by the plans is more that required. I have had no fuel system problems - do I recommend this fuel system to others, NO.

Do you mean you have a third tank like the vari ?

Do you have the sump blisters or not ?

I know my EZ is not the fastest in the sky but it is fun and economical. Getting about 28-30 miles per gallon on 100LL (do not and will not use auto fuel) and still can blow the doors off a lot of that production stuff.

I often patrol fly with a friend of mine who has a vari, we have very similar parameters. I burn 4.5 gal/hour of 100LL at 125kt.

With the fuselage of a Vari-Eze and the fuel tanks and wings of a Long-Eze - Miss EZ has three fuel tanks: Left and Right are Long-Eze with fuel sump and fuselage (header) tank of a Vari-Eze. Do not use the fuselage tank it is aft of the CG. Have a four position fuel selector: off, left, right, header. Some day when I have Miss EZ down for extensive maintenance/modification will take out the header tank and change to a three position fuel selector valve.

I have a O-200A in storage that I've been tinkering with. I'm not really planning to use it in my 601XL project...but I was considering buying a long eze project and using it in that? I know the Vari-eze was designed with the continental and the Long was the O-235. Any advice?