Old style navigation

I use the Anywheremap software on a tablet PC. Eventually it will be part of my panel when I finish my Long-EZ

After I obtained my PPL I continued to plan my flights just as if I was going to have to run them by my CFI. When I do my weather briefing, I always include confirming my comm frequencies along my route of flight just to be sure.

Now that some of the technology has changed, I do my preflight planning via a spreadsheet. I still input all the winds etc but the spreadsheet allows me to plan the night before and then confirm my winds aloft prior to filing my flight plan. I still print off a paper copy and keep it at the ready in my knee board.

I took a little jabbing this weekend from a friend of mine. I flew to a fly-in event and as per usual, I did all my flight planning and filed a fight plan. My son was riding with me and it was an uneventful flight down using the GPS. The jabbing took place shortly after I excused myself to close my flight plan . It was as if I wasn't with-it going through all the planning when you're never going to use it.

On the way back we were taking a different route. Shortly after takeoff, the GPS software lost the connection to the Bluetooth antenna on the dash. I handed the PC to my son and opened my knee board and we navigated the old fashioned way using VOR, Dead reckoning and pilotage.

I had all of my frequencies on my flight planner and didn't have to search for anything or look anything up on the fly.

My son has started talking about beginning his flight training. He's 25 and has a keen interest in flying. What better example could I have provided than to give an impromptu demonstration as to the importance of flight planning .... even if it is only as a "Plan B."

I'm only flying VFR and I love my GPS but I always do my flight planning as if it wasn't an option.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Also try using AOPA's Flight Planner which is "free" if you are a member. It is a great way to plan the flight. Fill out your takeoff and destination points and altitude and it will fill out the rest (you can have several performance profiles). If you don't quite like the route, you can graphically move stuff around. It will print out a map, flight plan, and kneeboard card with everything except the com freqs.

I also use airnav.com (free) to get a quick look at how to do a cheap crosscountry flight. You input your airport criteria and aircraft data, and it will figure out several flight profiles to minimize your gas cost.

These are a couple of ways to speed up your planning process---and still keep to the old school methods (paper on your knee).

Also try using AOPA's Flight Planner which is "free" if you are a member. It is a great way to plan the flight. Fill out your takeoff and destination points and altitude and it will fill out the rest (you can have several performance profiles). If you don't quite like the route, you can graphically move stuff around. It will print out a map, flight plan, and kneeboard card with everything except the com freqs.

I also use airnav.com (free) to get a quick look at how to do a cheap crosscountry flight. You input your airport criteria and aircraft data, and it will figure out several flight profiles to minimize your gas cost.

These are a couple of ways to speed up your planning process---and still keep to the old school methods (paper on your knee).

The only problem with the AOPA planner is that it requires software be downloaded to your computer. This makes it hard to use on the computer at the FBO for instance. AOPA has recognized this and they are bringing out a web-based flight planner later this year.

If you are a member of EAA, you have access to the Aeroplanner flight planning system which is a web-based system and works great. Like Tmann, I plan my flight online, print out the chart segments, flight plan and comm info on paper and put it on my kneeboard every time I take a trip.

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com

The Duats flight planners are not bad and are web bases. While I have not flown in a while, I have used both versions (http://www.duats.com - CSC and http://www.duat.com - DTC). Frequencies at the time were still "old school" and you add them to the plan after printing it out. Both versions can be used from most any FBO's computer, no membership required.

The graphics are not as pretty, but they work.

By the way - great job on planning the flight and flying the plan. That is a good example to be setting!

Carl