Intro, looking to buy used LEZ (NJ area), insurance question.

Hi, I'm Ian. Got my PPL in 02 but discontinued flying shortly after due to the hgih cost of renting and not being in the position to buy at that point in life. Recently got back in the saddle, finished a BFR and and have been renting 172s for fun and hours recently.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a used Long-EZ, read a lot about the aircraft and I'm very excited about the notion of flying one. First question is, does any one know of any for sale in the NJ area or the NE in general? I've found a few on the west coast and mid-west but not around here. Any Long-EZ owners in my area? And where does everyone go to get insured on these experinental aircraft? I've been trying to get a quote on insurance to see what it would cost to own and so far AOPA won't cover a Long-EZ and Avemco will only give me liability, no airframe insurance. I have a call into EAA but have not heard back yet.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help. Glad and excited to be part of the community.

-- Ian

Also try Barnstormers.com and David Orr, who brokers canard airplanes

http://canardfinder.com/

Falcon Insurance in Austin, TX insures experimentals.

Personally, I don't think hull insurance is worth the money. The most frequent accident is landing with the nose gear up which you can fix yourself.

You might look at a Cozy III, too. Comparable performance unless you are a porker. The III likes lightweight pilots. Good luck.

-Kent

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

My insurance is through Falcon. Make sure to join the EAA as you get a discount through Falcon and some other perks such as $50K of coverage for your hangar and its contents.

Valerie at EZJets always has a line or some Longs for sale. When I was up there a couple of weeks ago, they had a nice o-235 powered one that was for sale. There was also a nice O-360 powered one that was rumored to be coming up for sale in the near future. Her number is 901-475-3686

Rick Pellicciotti

Belle Aire Aviation, Inc.

http://www.belleaireaviation.com