Test EZ Progress

G'day all

The weather was cold and damp this weekend so the Fuselage outer skin had to wait. The layup is just to big for my warm room. The temps only make it into the 50s most of the weekend and the rain didn't help much.

I did manage to get most of Chapter 8 completed. I built the rollover and installed a new marker beacon antenna on my 1956 Cessna 172. I am finished with my annual and just need to install the seats. I will be flying next weekend if the weather is good.

Oh yeah, chapter 8 rollover. I have posted several pictures. I know it isn't exactly as plans. I have trimmed the top down to allow for my GPS antenna. Here are several pictures.

Jeff

post-2642-141090160634_thumb.jpg

post-2642-141090160637_thumb.jpg

post-2642-14109016064_thumb.jpg

post-2642-141090160643_thumb.jpg

G'day

Well, the weather got above 70 degrees for two days.

Friday, April 11, I quickly moved the fuselage outside of the hanger and started the prep work for the uni. I didn't have help so it was a task. I then started the layup and Mother nature then added some 20 MPH wind to make it very interesting. Every time I took my hand off the glass to do something the wind blew it across the airfield.... Oh, did I say I was doing this myself. I was committed because the fuselage was slurried and clamped to two saw horses. I was determined to get 1/2 of the fuselage done on Friday..... Well, Friday was also my Son's third birthday.... Mommy had some plans too. Well, the women won. I only got one layer of glass applies and then peel plied the one layer and then moved the fuselage into the hanger....

Saturday, April 12, I got up and was in the hanger by 8:00 AM. The winds were planned to be higher than Friday. I was a little smarter. I decided to work in the hanger with the door open and some drop cloths on the floor to reduce drip mess. The temps were above 70 by 9:30 AM and I was ready... I managed to complete the two layers on the one side and then re-position the fuselage and finish glassing the tub. I finished around 7:00 PM and went home. Pictures attached are of my father inspecting my work in the warm room after cure on Sunday.

Sunday, April 13, weather back in the 50's... I would rather be lucky than good.

Jeff

post-2642-141090161212_thumb.jpg

post-2642-141090161224_thumb.jpg

post-2642-141090161236_thumb.jpg

Jtest wrote:

I only got one layer of glass applies and then peel plied the one layer and then moved the fuselage into the hanger

One of my building rules is that if I know I will not have time to do the whole layup it waits till I can do it. The other rule is that once I start a layup You gotta die to get me away from it. So far nobody is willing to die for my project. STeve Build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

Jtest wrote:

One of my building rules is that if I know I will not have time to do the whole layup it waits till I can do it. The other rule is that once I start a layup You gotta die to get me away from it. So far nobody is willing to die for my project. STeve Build on

What happened where the fuselage side and F22 join? Also where the top longeron and f28 meet look a little different. Perhaps I just cannot see well due to the glass that still needs trimming....

Jtest wrote:

G'day Big Steve

I try to stay rigidly flexible. I set some plans and then understand I only control what I can. Friday's winds, beyond my control outside. I learned and moved into the hanger where I could close the door....

Saturday was a better, but much longer day. Total time was around 17 hours or so.

Thanks for your comments;

Jeff

What happened where the fuselage side and F22 join? Also where the top longeron and f28 meet look a little different. Perhaps I just cannot see well due to the glass that still needs trimming....

G'day Mfryer

Not sure what you mean about the F22 join or F28 looking a little different. I do still need to trim the extra glass, but that will wait for another day or two. I don't get to work on weekday evenings due to commute. If you explain your concern I will look at the issue.

Thanks again;

Jeff

... I would rather be lucky than good. Jeff

Consider replacing Luck with

Prudence, Perpetually Sharpened Skills, and Patience.

Send Luck packing.

Jeff, If you get a chance, post a few more pictures of your F-22 and F-28 connection points: Close-ups inside the box and out, also a few of each connection point Top down view centered over the fuse side to bulk head connections. Thanks . . .

Hat :cool2:

Also, I'm curious if your Tech advisor reads this board?

Airspeed is Life -

:cool: - Having lots of it

is Better!

G'day Mfryer

Not sure what you mean about the F22 join or F28 looking a little different. I do still need to trim the extra glass, but that will wait for another day or two. I don't get to work on weekday evenings due to commute. If you explain your concern I will look at the issue.

Thanks again;

Jeff

Below is a photo you posted of your fuse just proir to glassing. I circled the areas of concern in red. For comparison also pictured is a photo of mine. Please understand I am not presenting mine as some ideal example, this is the first time I have done this, however I do feel that I have followed the plans closely. I hope this helps explain the concerns, perhaps a couple more photos will lay that to rest.

Martin

post-2217-141090161281_thumb.jpg

Posted Image