Materials in Australia

altruistic

So many moons ago, probably about 1995, we did extensive comparative testing of the Epoxies. Someone had problems with Epolam 2427 (IIRC)

The findings are somewhere in the early Cozy Archives.

it was quite a bit of work ...

More interesting were the methods used to compare the various types of epoxy. The fellers on the group found some "home" test rig in a book by Marshall (IIRC) The idea being that you could replicate the rig at home and do some basic testing in order to make your own comparison.

Some research will yield this info, and it also contains the results of the original Rutan type epoxy.(referred to in the plans)

Hope this may help some.

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Thanks to all who have replied !

The Resin decision has been made. After some discussion with Peter Karanges (SAAA CH 15 President and T.C.) we reckon the best way to go is the Araldite K3600 System. It's tried and tested in Australia on Jabiru Aircraft and will more than likely always be available for the life of the build. Details are as follows:

Supplier : CG Composites - in Hendra, Brisbane (Scot Hood)

Araldite LC3600 20kgs $310.00 plus GST

Hardener 6.7kgs $241.00 plus GST

Total: $635 inc GST with delivery.

Should be here tomorrow which means I can get back to work on the weekend.

Post Cured Properties :

Glass transition (oC) TM22 90 DegC

Tensile Strengh (N/mm2) TM48 70

% Elongation TM48 3.5

Flexural Strenth (N/mm2) TM46 102

Flexural Modulus (N/mm2) TM46 4800

Does anyone know what TM means ? as in TM22, TM48, TM46 ?

Steve Mew

Brisbane,AUS

Cozy IV #1559

steve.mew@gmail.com

Just one thought.

The Jabiru is made in a mold and I am guessing that its vacum bagged. The builder does a small amount of glassing (hand layups). One thing to look for with a resin system is the ease at which it wets out when laying up by hand. Some are better than others.

The Araldite may well be fine in this regard, I have never used it. I do know of one that was built (Long eze) some 20 years ago with some form of the Araldite system so it certainly can be used successfully.

As I said just a thought.

• 7 months later...

They also have Urethane foam, but I mentioned the word "aircraft" so he didn't want to discuss it. Oops, (thinks: next time don't ring after the night shift and have a cover story ready - I couldn't think of anything on the spot...) I might try again when I'm ready to order, saying I need it for making male molds & cowling lips, etc. but I need it for the nose also... On the other hand they are completely cool with selling the Divinycel for making an aircraft!

Mark, I don't understand this. A supplier not wanting to sell a product that is in stock.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Cozy Plans # 1583 (26 June, 2009)

You're looking at it the wrong way Steve. There are many tales here and in the mailing list archive of those who have indicated that the thing they buy will be included in a homebuilt aircraft, and the supplier gets cold feet and refuses to sell. Fearing liability issues maybe?

Make your own choice whether to be up front with a local supplier or not. I was honest for three reasons, I'm basically inclined to be honest, I wanted to see what would happen if I mentioned aircraft, I was too stupid to have a believable cover story available when he asked what I wanted it for.

I'm ready to buy some stuff now, maybe I'll just fax him an order (including urethane) and see what happens:cool:

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

You're looking at it the wrong way Steve. There are many tales here and in the mailing list archive of those who have indicated that the thing they buy will be included in a homebuilt aircraft, and the supplier gets cold feet and refuses to sell. Fearing liability issues maybe?

I half suspected it would be a liability type issue. We obviously live in a world where we can't take responsibility for our own actions and must always blame somebody else.

Make your own choice whether to be up front with a local supplier or not. I was honest for three reasons, I'm basically inclined to be honest, I wanted to see what would happen if I mentioned aircraft, I was too stupid to have a believable cover story available when he asked what I wanted it for.

I'm ready to buy some stuff now, maybe I'll just fax him an order (including urethane) and see what happens:cool:

Exciting times ahead.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Cozy Plans # 1583 (26 June, 2009)

...you'll have a better aeroplane if you leave out urethane foam anyway...

Yep, handling the stuff on Drew's Cozy Midnight and seeing the pics of your wing foam nose have sold me - no urethane on the Spodplane. But it does work easy, so I will use it for moulds & forms, etc. if I can get it for a reasonable price.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane