firewall question

killerb1971

I am just about to wrap up chapter 4, but by reading the plans and looking at the drawings, it leaves me with a few questions. First, does the temporary firewall need the blind screws or hard points installed as well? Second, the plans say to make the hardpoints 1"x1.25", when the drawing has a 1" square hole. Which is it? And if it is 1"x1.25", which part of the square on the drawing is my point of reference for the rectangle? Does the longer part go vertically or horizontally, and from which end of the square? Also do the hardpoints need any treatment before install? Do they get 5min epoxied in or floxed? Sorry about all the questions, but the plans don't seem to be clear on this, and I am VERY particular on how this plane is put together. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

Rob Wiehl

COZY MKIV #1521

1" square seems about the minimum, some builders go a bit larger to ensure the engine mounts will hit the hardpoints.

Flox them in.

Alodine won't hurt, the added cost is trivial.

See: http://www.cozybuilders.org/mail_list/cozy-faq.html

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.

First, does the temporary firewall need the blind screws or hard points installed as well?

No, in fact the temporary firewall can be a plain old square piece of plywood.

Also do the hardpoints need any treatment before install?

My conclusion after researching this question last year was that all aluminum parts should be cleaned and protected, such as alodining (in archives and mail list).

Do they get 5min epoxied in or floxed?

Mine were a tight fit on the edges, but I used flox. ALSO realize that the aluminum is thicker than the permanent firewall 6mm plywood. A had a little flox fillet there to make glassing easier.

And if it is 1"x1.25", which part of the square on the drawing is my point of reference for the rectangle?

You want the center in the correct place. Use the center of both dimension from the drawing.

Andrew Anunson

I work underground and I play in the sky... no problem