Left side stick on LEZ possible?

MoneySink

I don't have an LEZ plan to refer to if it's even available or feasible in the plan to have the side stick on the left. Most of the LEZ pictures I've seen so far have the side stick on the right. I'm pretty terrible at writing down clearances with my left hand.

I curious to find out if any builder out there have done this?

This would be possible, but I don't know of anyone who's done it.

Reverse the pitch trim and control bellcranks on the canard.

Reverse the instrument panel leg cutouts and control rod holes. (The large leg hole will now be on the right)

Move the fuselage side depression for the stick to the left side instead of the right.

There may be some clearence issues between the stick and the canopy latch handle. I'd need to look at this more carefully.

Reverse the throttle quadrant and stick side; Stick on left, Throttle on right.

Move the landing brake lever to the right side

Move the Pitch trim control to the right side

Move the roll trim to the left side

The left console will now be a little larger than the right (they're reversed)

Rear Cockpit - Make a new landing brake assembly so it is controlled from the right side, not the left.

Reverse the location of the rear seat control bearing to the left side.

Reverse the Aileron Firewall bearing location.

Rework the wing aileron control tubes, The left wing will now be shorter than the right.

This configuration would be unusual and may detract from the aircraft resale value.

OR, you could do what most of us do, engage the Wing leveler/autopilot while writing down clearances.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

I mention the wing leveler as I consider this mandatory for single pilot IFR.

I was on a long Cross country one time and was into hard IFR for about two hours. I was beat, I'll never do that again. The next day, I ordered a NavAids autopilot wing leveler.

Waiter

I would verify three items;

1) The pitch bellcrank and the control bellcrank on the canard, see how this change would effect it. I think it would be OK but you'll need to also verify the counterweights, and the inboard hinge bearing for the elevators. The Elevator tubes would need to be reversed (The left will be shorter than the right, I think)

2) Canopy latch for interference with the stick.

3) Check the Aileron bellcrank at the firewall to make sure there is clearance for the engine mount. You'll also need to fabricate your own bellcrank so it has that little jiggle around the left extrusion instead of the right extrusion.

Personally, Unless your left handed, I would seriously think twice about this. You may be solving the problem of being able to write, but when your not writing, your now stuck with having to fly a plane with the left hand which has less dexterity than the right. :sad:

Waiter

Personally, Unless your left handed, I would seriously think twice about this. You may be solving the problem of being able to write, but when your not writing, your now stuck with having to fly a plane with the left hand which has less dexterity than the right. :sad:

Is this such a big deal? I'm learning to fly in a katana, and am flying with my left hand at all times. I'm only ever tempted to fly with my right hand on the stick when doing the downwind checks.

This is mostly a copy and paste of another post I made. For me, as a right handed pilot, it's not that bad writing stuff when needed. Unless the turbulence is really bad, you just take your hand off the stick (you've already got it trimmed up - right?) and make minor adjustments with the rudders for the short time it takes to do the writing. I can't remember the turbulence being bad enough for this not to work. You may occasionally have to give the stick a jab while still having the pen in your hand a time or two, but for me it is mostly a non-issue that the stick is on the same side as my writing hand. I would NEVER seriously consider re-design to move the stick over to the left. It would be so much trouble for solving a non-issue.

Dave Adams

Long EZ N83DT

Race 83

This brings up a question I have as well. I know that in most aircraft the PIC is on the left. I am going to build a Cozy Mark IV, and I am right handed. So I would be more comfortable flying in the right seat.

In this type of aircraft, does it matter which side the PIC takes?

In this type of aircraft, does it matter which side the PIC takes?

In no type of Part 91 aircraft does it matter (legally) which side the PIC takes. Left is merely a custom. There are a few folks that regularly fly from the right seat, and I do so when I'm giving familiarization flights.

Doh!!! too bad the plans is not in SolidWorks or something, it would be a cinch to move all this stuff.

...or you could just turn the bits of paper over...

I must admit I don't understand the "I'm left-handed" "I'm right-handed" thing, it seems most people seem to note one hand is marginally better at something and thereafter pretend the other one doesn't exist. I seem to be right dominant when approaching tasks, but usually use the hand that is nearest, unless the other is better at a particular skill. If I want I can make the non-dominant hand learn stuff, you just have to teach it.

I've learnt to fly left-handed, and have demonstrated even less skill with the right :cool2: Expect I could learn, and get the ATIS down with my left.

On the other hand :cool: I may just be a freak...

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

I learned to fly in a C150 so the yoke was in my left and the throttle in the right. I flew hundreds of hours in my Cozy IV and the stick in my left hand was never an issue. I'm finishing a Long EZ now and put the stick on the left side. It is a no brainer to pull this off.