Hi Everyone, Just another New Kid on the Block checking in.

Heard about the Open-EZ project from a friend. Building a Long has been a long time dream/goal of mine as I'm sure it's been for many here. Time to get started.

Question out of the gate before I get to reading out the site: Has anyone put together a cut list for the airframe foam using current sources and part numbers? Is Aircraft Spruce or Wicks still calling the material out as its shown in the plans?

Check out WicksAircraft as well. If you go to the chapter, there is a pdf file you can grab that has a detailed parts list.

Be sure and compare prices. Sometimes Wicks has the best price and a week later ACS will .... for the exact same product.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Looking at my current acs catalog they show that they still sell chapter kits for the Longeze. STeve

Steve,

Is that the 2007-2008 Cat?

To get the ball rolling I went to ACS already and picked up: Uni, Bid, Uni-tape, Flox, Micro, Ratio Pump, 5 Gal MGS 285 + hardeners, Bulkhead and seatback foams and a bunch of mixing cups and other misc stuff. Didn’t see the Long-kit in the new cat, got a page number off hand? Ordering the balance of the fuselage foams and longerons tomorrow when their spruce guy is on hand to review what I want.

QUESTION: I plan on mounting an O-360, has anyone used beefed-up (larger and or reinforced) longerons for the larger engines? What’s the current consensus on structure mods re larger engines? Or will the plan spec longeron sizes still get the job done?

Check out WicksAircraft as well

Thanks for the tip, I'm on it. Looked over your project in my initial browse/flyby, very interesting mods on the tub. I may be bugging you with a lot, apologize in advance for that.

Thanks Guys

To get the ball rolling I went to ACS already and picked up: Uni, Bid, Uni-tape, Flox, Micro, Ratio Pump, 5 Gal MGS 285 + hardeners, Bulkhead and seatback foams and a bunch of mixing cups and other misc stuff.

You sure do have that ball rolling now!

Didn’t see the Long-kit in the new cat, got a page number off hand?

It might be in an older catalog; I don't see it on their web site either.

Ordering the balance of the fuselage foams and longerons tomorrow when their spruce guy is on hand to review what I want.

Take a look at the Cozy parts list. The chapters are the same and the materials are similar. Just keep in mind that the Cozy is wider than a Long-EZ, but the materials are what you want to pay attention to. What's good for the Cozy is good for an EZ.

What’s the current consensus on structure mods re larger engines? Or will the plan spec longeron sizes still get the job done?

There's no official consensus, and my impression is that each builder does what they think they need to do to be safe. Best to talk to someone who's done it (and is flying).

You may want to join the Central States Association where you'll get a list of builder/flyers, their planes (canards), build/flying status, and engine types.

Enjoy!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

LONGERONS

those wooden pieces that run the entire length of the fuselage.

(IMHO - the original longerons are more than adequate)

Yes, My longerons (both top and bottom) are about 1/4 inch taller than the plans (i.e. from memory - instead of 3/4 x 3/4, I used 3/4 x 1). The same larger pieces of wood are used to form the Main Landing gear hard points.

I'm glad I did it, but I caution you that this seemingly simple change needs to be taken into account and adjustments made for other assemblies that rely on the dimensions of the longerons.

The larger longerons mainly effect the following;

Centerspar (CS) - The longerons and gear hard points will form a box that the CS will fit into. When you do the larger longerons, make sure the inside dimensions for the CS opening doesn't change.

Main Gear - The main gear hard points formed by the larger longerons will shift things down. Be careful, you don't want to change the geometric relationship between the gear and the CS.

Strakes - The top surface of the strake to fuselage attachments will be shifted upward slightly, not critical.

Canopy/Turtledeck - Use the plans firewall. The taller longerons shift the canopy UP by about 1/4 inch. If you stick with the plans firewall and cut the firewall plywood to the dimensions in the plans, you should be OK. The taller canopy/turtledeck junture will fair into the firewall plywood. (I know this sounds complicated, but it will make sense when you look at it)

ENGINE MOUNT EXTRUSIONS

I used larger engine mount extrusions, both top and bottom.

LONGER NOSE

My nose is longer, AND, a more pleasant shape than the plans nose.

Photos of my nose.

http://www.iflyez.com/LongEZ_Construction_Photos_Nose.shtml

Shift as much weight as far forward as possible.

The nose was extended mainly to shift the battery forward.

Install the brakes in the nose.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

My acs catalog is a 2006-2007 and I am mistaken there is no long eze kit to be found. I must have buzzed through really quick saw the cozy and just put it in my brain it was a long eze and thought no more about it sorry. The catalog does say if you call them they have material lists for other airplanes not listed in the catalog. Longeze's have made Jim Irwin a rich man I am quite sure that he has a parts list for them. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

LONGER NOSE

My nose is longer, AND, a more pleasant shape than the plans nose.

Photos of my nose.

My nose is a little larger probably than average, but I will leave it up to the beholder to say if it is pleasant shaped.... Wasn't this about aircraft building???:D;)