Bruce Shankle's Cozy

Welcome Bruce -- you ARE now on your way!

From your site, I just have the following comments:

• I am a fan of the scale-only system as well.
  • Don't throw out those old brushes: soak them in a can of acetone overnight (covered coffee can or some such), and reuse AFTER DRY -- they perform better than when new (all the bristles that get stuck in your layup when the brush is new no longer get stuck).
  • Nat should write you back.
Congratulations & enjoy!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Joe Hull (the guy who's mentoring me) had to re-do an entire part because his epoxy-pump failed to make the correct ratio. The part was too soft after cure.

Now, I've watched Joe measure out epoxy on his scale and it's very easy and super-accurate.

Why risk it?

-Bruce

I was considering using a scale as well (when/if I start). Do you have any other recommendations on this method?

What's this "if" business? :)

Not to hijaak Bruce's thread, but... I find using the pump very simple once you locate smaller containers for the resin (I'm using a cleaned out laundry detergent container). I pour hardener directly from the metal containers. Pour carefully and make up a chart that shows how much weight you should add of each for your epoxy system. EZ (and cheap).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I (and many others) built my entire plane using the homemade balanced beam scale thats described in the plans (Practice kit).

Hard to believe that an entire airplane waspoured out of those 6 oz paper cups.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

I use the ratio pump (sticky stuff from Michaels) and just check it from time to time to make sure my ratio is still good.

As long as it's pumping right, it's a ton faster and you can use more fast cure and still keep up with it.

I actually have 2 of these. One to pump fast cure and the other to pump slow cure. When you use the MGS resin, you can mix it up between the two.

example: 5 pumps of slow with 3 pumps of fast.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Bruce:

Welcome to the addiction. I am into my Cozy IV build 11 months now. I have a fuselage to sit in and a canard to play with and by saturday I will have elevators to put on the canard. I use a ratio pump it is 23 years old I used it to build my first project I have never had it leave me with uncured epoxy. I think it is much faster than a level or a scale but they all work. If you want to finish this project try to work on it every day even if it is for a few minutes it will make a big difference. Have fun and dont get hung up on little things that dont matter. STeve

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

What's this "if" business? :)

Yes. Thanks for the correction.... WHEN I start.

also not to hijack, but, I will probably get the terf cd in a couple of weeks, then study, house, study, parts.......:cool:

I've been baking my confidence piece in the kitchen oven on the lowest temp it'll go to....I'd estimate maybe 150 or so. Not too hold to hold the piece.

I'm hoping to stress it to breaking with Joe over the weekend and gather some data while doing it.

Anyone interested?