Quickie Question

• 2 weeks later...

I'd have thought a Mazda would be far to heavy for a Q, the O-200 is a tight fit for those who can't bear the thought of a Revmaster! There are some people flying behind (and in front of) a Mazda in other types. Have a look at the Fly Rotary list for details. What does the owner/builder say?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

A Quickie will zoom with a tiny aircraft engine. You should like the auto engine option ONLY IF you are firmly competent with auto engine repair, maintenance, and are ready to immerse yourself in the conversion to aircraft use. Everything I have heard points out that an auto engine conversion is a MAJOR project in itself.

Personally, I'd get a tiny aircraft engine and go flying. :)

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

125 is plenty of horses, but Q's tend to be nose heavy even without bolting cast iron on to the front. Max gross according to the designers is 1100lb, some builders are flying at 1300lb. Most of that for you will be engine.

Note my opinions have no first hand basis. I haven't built one or flown one, and would suggest you consult somebody who has.

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane

• 3 months later...

Try the Corvair weight is about the same or less than a Lyc or Cont. It's proven, and puts out 125 reliable horses. It's balanced and is a direct drive-no expensive psru's. Stock forged crank and rods. It'll cruise along at 35-4500 all day long. Total cost to build a trick bomb proof mill less than 5k.

http://www.flycorvair.com/

-GuyL]