2 place Cozy?

johnnyd428

Having not yet received my plans I was hoping a few of you may be able to answer my question. I am a large person. I have that NFL lineman frame, 601 315lbs. And I looooove my comfort. Sitting in a patrol car for 10 hours a day I understand how important comfort is. I was interested in finding out if anyone has modified a Cozy into a tandem configuration.

In doing this it I am looking for a very comfortable ride with ample room. Also with only two passengers and seating it would open up the possibility of extra cargo space as well as extra gear. Also I like the fighter aircraft configuration hehe. If anyone has any thoughts pro or con please let me know.

Oh no! Here comes the 5-0!

Hello, here's a thread that has a good amount of discussion on the topic: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1409

If I were to do it, I would seriously consider doing as Steve Wright did with his Stagger-EZ. Doing that in a Cozy would be very doable. I would modify after you build the entire fuselage per plans, because at that point you'll know what you're doing.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

I plan on building the fuselage to specs, but with the changes inside the cockpit. I don't like the idea of widening the fuselage even though it has been done. The problems with this change that I foresee is a movement of the flight controls to accommodate a center of the cockpit pilot position. Again not seeing the plans I don't know the routing of the in cockpit systems.

Also to address some issues of rear passenger view I think a slight redesign of the canopy and the addition of strake windows would greatly improve all around visibility.

I like the Cozy because of its size and load in comparison to the Long Ez. I just believe that the added comfort and possible storage capacity would make for a great 2 person weekend trip machine. Imagine the extra bells and whistles a pilot could have instead of lugging around two extra passengers lol.

I plan on building the fuselage to specs, but with the changes inside the cockpit. I don't like the idea of widening the fuselage even though it has been done. The problems with this change that I foresee is a movement of the flight controls to accommodate a center of the cockpit pilot position. Again not seeing the plans I don't know the routing of the in cockpit systems.

Also to address some issues of rear passenger view I think a slight redesign of the canopy and the addition of strake windows would greatly improve all around visibility.

I like the Cozy because of its size and load in comparison to the Long Ez. I just believe that the added comfort and possible storage capacity would make for a great 2 person weekend trip machine. Imagine the extra bells and whistles a pilot could have instead of lugging around two extra passengers lol.

Build it to sit off center (left or right, your preference) to put your hand on the stick in the plans location? Essentially, widen one seat and eliminate the other side. Are you assuming you have to sit on the centerline?

I would be asking questions about the structural effects of moving the heat duct etc off center.

Does anyone have a pic of the heat duct under construction to give me an idea of size and exact location, as i said I am merely thinking of the changes and have no technical data because of my lack of plans.

I also have thought of just widening the seat, but I like the idea of a "fighter" style cockpit. Since the Cozy is designed in part from the Long Ez which is a tandem seat aircraft I thought it would be a fairly simple modification. Possibly building up the sides around the center mounted seat to house the flight controls and have a place to run any plumbing to the rear of the aircraft. I also like the idea of a stick in the right and the throttle quadrant in my left hand.

Good to know of another Officer dedicated to the build.

I am approaching first engine start of my rotary Mazda 13b on my Velocity

All the best,

Chris Barber

Bellaire Polilce

Badge 330

(BTW, Bellaire is surrounded by Houston)

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

Does anyone have a pic of the heat duct under construction to give me an idea of size and exact location, as i said I am merely thinking of the changes and have no technical data because of my lack of plans.

I also have thought of just widening the seat, but I like the idea of a "fighter" style cockpit. Since the Cozy is designed in part from the Long Ez which is a tandem seat aircraft I thought it would be a fairly simple modification. Possibly building up the sides around the center mounted seat to house the flight controls and have a place to run any plumbing to the rear of the aircraft. I also like the idea of a stick in the right and the throttle quadrant in my left hand.

Right hand sticks are good as long as you are left handed or never plan to write down a clearance or anything else for that matter. When this becomes a necessity, you, unless you are ambidextrous will have to grab the stick cross chest (dicy at best), keep the plane under control, and copy the clearance, draw your lines on the chart or readjust yourself. :P

If you consider a store built aircraft, stick or yoke, you normally fly the plane with your left hand for this reason.

Southpaws need not apply

Rich

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

I write both left and right handed, but am better with the right hand of course. In my squad i keep a notebook handy on the left door so i get some good practice. But I do see your point. Its something I will have to consider.

• 1 year later...

I know exactly where you are coming from, I am 6'1 265 lbs, and fitting in a LEZ is going to be a tight squeeze, I am taking a different approach, when I start mine I am going to be building a plywood mockup of my cabin, then adjusting my plans as necessary.

Somthing that occured to me with your size, why not make it a 3 seat? Seat yourself in the center in the front, give yourself a nice comfortable pilots seat, and then keep the dual seat configuration in the back so you can carry 2 passengers. Then you can configure your controls and everything exactly how you want them, even possibly put a right hand stick in the back seat.

As well much like they do in some of the velocity models, you could make one of the seats in the back flip down and become a luggage rack where you could strap bags down.

I would definitely mock up what ever you do first though, including setting your canopy on it to see how you are going to like the end result, the materials to do it aren't going to run more than 100 bucks, and it will be well worth it to know that you are going to be happy with the end product, as well if you get frustrated and need motivation you can jump in your mockup and make airplane noises... Just sayin.. :D

We make no mistakes, ONLY INNOVATIONS!

One more quick thing to add to this, next semester in school I am taking auto cad courses, a little closer to the end of the year if you want a hand redesigning the cockpit to fit let me know.

I live in corpus and would be more than happy to help you put together a plan that actually has some prints to go with it. I am also a welder, and working on becoming a Machinist, and I have a decent amount of experience doing fiberglass.

We make no mistakes, ONLY INNOVATIONS!