Battery Maintenance

rviglierchio

I was told by an A&P that my loose battery cables are caused by shrinking battery posts that occurs normally with each start cycle, particularly when new. Is this true? It's only been 15 hours since he worked on it, the battery is not that new and they were very loose.

Thank you for any advice.

How often do you tighten the battery cables on your car?

I think Marc is gettig a chuckle here at the expense of my naivete...

Anyone else care to join in? I need to resond to the fellow that is giving these possible lame excuses for a lot of things like safety wiring oil filters is optional, shrinking battery posts, etc.

If he's right then I'll understand but things sound fishy...

Thanks!

I think Marc is gettig a chuckle here at the expense of my naivete...

Nah.....

Anyone else care to join in? I need to resond to the fellow that is giving these possible lame excuses for a lot of things like safety wiring oil filters is optional, shrinking battery posts, etc.

There are few if any A&P's here. There are many on the canard-aviators mailing list. You'll get more responses (and more accurate responses) there than you will here.

I have a Oddessy PC-930 battery with standard automotive post connections. I always seemed to have problems with the negative post getting loose.

One day several years ago, I mentioned this to a parts counter salesman. His immediate response was " Sounds like you got the wrong post connector on the minus", WHAT??? - I always thought they were the same size. Anyway, I bought a connector from him, and went to the hangar, sure as heck, the Positive and Negative post are different sizes.

I installed the correct connector on the cable and have never had any more problems.

As for Safety wiring the oil filter: I've never had an oil filter come off of my car (never even heard of it). If it did get loose, I'd have an oil mess, the light would come on, and I would pull off the side of the road.

Unfortunately, The consequences of an oil filter loosening in flight would probably be a lot more disastrous, so the cost of safety wire and installation time could be viewed as very inexpensive insurance against an event that is very unlikely to happen.

I doubt if a properly tightened oil filter could actually come off on its own. HOWEVER, I would bet that just the act of safety wiring the filter creates an additional and independent check as to the tightness of the filter.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

I use an automotive oil filter with a bypass valve. I hand tighten it (as hard as I can). I always need an oil filter wrench to get it off---and needs a pretty good tug too.

I would definately safety it if I could---but there are no "ears" for it. The filter is real cheap too.

Not advocating this as the way to go...but it is A way...and carries some risk. What is your risk tolerance?

I use an automotive oil filter with a bypass valve. I hand tighten it (as hard as I can). I always need an oil filter wrench to get it off---and needs a pretty good tug too.

I would definately safety it if I could---but there are no "ears" for it. The filter is real cheap too.

Not advocating this as the way to go...but it is A way...and carries some risk. What is your risk tolerance?

Has anybody thought about slipping a large hose clamp around the lower body of the filter to act as a wire-ty fixation point?

The clamp can be reused, practically forever, on successive filters.

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D