Rough River 2006

Well, OSH is history and now we are looking at the best canard fly-in on the planet coming up.

You are probably thinking; this guy's brain got fried at OSH, what the hell is he talking about?

Rough River, that's what I am talking about. Rough River is a laid-back, no schedule to follow-except for the dates the fly-in are scheduled-canard fly-in.

The location is Rough River State Park in Falls-of Rough, KY near Owensboro.

The identifier is 2I3 (2 India 3) and the runway is 2-20, 3200 feet.

Dates for this year's and subsequent fly-ins are:

2006 Sept 29, 30, Oct 1

2007 Sept 28, 29, 30

2008 Sept 26, 27, 28

2009 Sept 25, 26, 27

For additional information, see http://www.roughriver.org. Although the web site has not been updated, the logistical information is still valid. If anyone has any questions, feel free to contact Dave or me at the e-mail addresses found on the website or via this forum.

If someone would cross-post this to the other canard forums, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks and see you at Rough River!!

Sam and Phila Chambers

Dave and Betsy Russell

Co-hosts, Rough River Fly-In

I'm trying to arrange to get there, but need to be in Denver the week before and is a stretch to be away from home for that long (I have a slight case of agoraphobia).

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 1 month later...

So far so good with my plans to get there. I'm hitching a 7-hour ride w/Rick Maddy's club ride -- a new Diamond DA40 w/dual Garmin G1000 glass panels -- from Denver. I should be there bright and early on Friday to watch most arrivals. Rick and I will be camping on the grounds.

My only issue is that I need to get back to Louisville by noon/12:30 to catch a flight home to New Jersey. I'll have to work on that. :scared: If anyone can take me, please let me know. I'll fill your tank (unless you're riding a Hummer :) ).

Hello Canardians,

well I made a ton of calls to find places to stay. All the locals are full. Next best choices seemed to be about 50 miles away...

I've found a nice mom & pop about 18 miles away with good availability...

New remodeled withing the year and breakfest included....

waiting for the Owner to call for particulars on a deal for the rest of of who have just found the time to go....

Mitchell Goodrich

N60P

Tampa,FL

hiflier68 at yahoo

well I made a ton of calls to find places to stay. All the locals are full. Next best choices seemed to be about 50 miles away...

I've found a nice mom & pop about 18 miles away with good availability...

New remodeled withing the year and breakfest included....

waiting for the Owner to call for particulars on a deal for the rest of of who have just found the time to go....

Mitchell,

I've been to RR 4 times. Never seen one where somebody couldn't get a room at the Lodge or the 2 places up the street, (1/2 mile away).

Weather, gripes and what-not seems to strike a significant percentage every year.

Why not just bring a tent just in case EVERYONE makes it and there are no rooms? It's only for 2 nights, and they NEVER run out of room at the field.

St Pete,FL

"I run with scissors."

Cozy MKIV N85TT

Phase One Testing

http://home.earthlink.net/~jerskip

• 2 weeks later...

I just accepted the fact that I won't be making Rough River this year. I had a couple of chances -- offers for rides to there from Rick Maddy and then Rich Hughes -- but I began to feel some guilt since I would have been away from my family for 7 days since I was already out of town. "Daddy who?"

So I'm going to make it up to myself by throwing the building switch up another level. Just gotta get in the shop, stop thinking, and keep doing.

Here I go...

Of course, any firsthand accounts are MOST appreciated.

My memory is a little blurry, but here's what I can recall after n 8 hour car ride back:

My dad and I got in Friday around 2pm (by car), to the sight of a mass of canards grazing on the tarmac at the airport. After a quick trip to the campsite to set up the tent and the EZup, we went back to the airport and started mingling. I spent most of Friday hanging around Steve Volvosek's beautiful EZ (N320ST) that he just finished (flew off the 40 and then out to RR, withg 52 hours on the Hobbs). His plane is really slick, and he was so giddy it was hard not to be infected with the joy of being a canardian. We had dinner at the lodge around 5 and crashed early, having gotten up at 0300 to drive down.

It drizzled a little on Friday night, but nothing very serious or very long, just enough to oleave some drops on the tent when we woke up on Saturday morning. Showers at the campsite were really nice, one of the best equipped state parks I've ever been at. Morning was cold, but breakfast at the lodge was hot and we moseyed out to the airport to find even more planes. My count was 67 at that point, with a few in the air (the official count ws 70 later in the day). Ran into a bunch of folks from the forums and oogled planes and talked with owners and had a blast. Nick U. did a demo of his hot-mold DIY stick grip technique, which was really neat. Someone brought a Fein tool and the replacement for the Dritz scissors, which were a real hit of a demo. Chrissi and Randi were all over the place, chatting and being really great people. James Redmon (of Berkut 13 fame), Steve Wright (with the Stagger-EZ), Chris Essylstein (Cozy 540), Bill Allen (the transatlantic EZ pilot), and a bunch of others I can't remember right now were a highlight, tirelessly answering questions fired in their directions.

Wow, my first RR, the 20th RR, and I won a prize at the raffle (Thanks Chrissi & Randi!)

Today was spent drying out the tent and EZup from the torrential rainstorms that moved in on Saturday (complete with ground strike lightning and thunder overhead), then getting back on the road for the drive home.

Wow what a weekend! :D :D :D :D :D

-dave

This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

• 3 weeks later...

Ed Savage took some great pics AND video, which you can find here.

Thanks Ed!

Thanks Jon - you beat me to my posting on this forum! ;-)

I have finally gotten around to putting up my pictures and videos of AirVenture Oshkosh '06 and Rough River '06 on the net.

You can find them at:

http://trilug.org/~egsavage/aviation/

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

Great pictures! Looks like you managed to do the kids thing quite well. How did they enjoy it? Give me some pointers for my pre-teens.

Jon, actually, I came without my family this year to Rough River. I may try to convince the rest of the family to come next year, but they have school around that time of the year already. As for the kids you see at Rough River, maybe you see Dani Evansic (Len's wife) and her daughter Mary?

As for AirVenture, yes, we went as a family. It was fun, but it was a bit more hot and humid than what we were expecting in Oshkosh that time of year. I wonder when I'll have to start bugging them for a trip again in 2007... :rolleyes:

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

I meant "kids at Oshkosh". Rough River is not a great kids place, as you can see by now. I'd worry that they'd get bored in a couple hours and pull me away from all the "action". :)

It's a great consolation prize to have so many pictures to look at. Thanks again.