TERF CD, any issues building a plane from them?

BigMouse

With the templates available here and the rest of the plans available on the TERF CD, is it possible to build a Long-EZ from those plans and have the FAA buy off on it? Obviously, the TERF CD doesn't come with a serial number and from what I've read, the plane I build couldn't be called a Long-EZ anyway. I am totally new to homebuilts and am not sure what the FAA wants to see in order to obtain an airworthiness certificate. Anybody here know?

Airframe/Powerplant mechanic, Engineer wannabe.

on the TERF CD, is it possible to build a Long-EZ from those plans and have the FAA buy off on it?

The FAA doesn't care where you got the plans or whether you have a license to build the airplane. There's been a lot of discussion on building from copied plans on this website, so read some of those discussions to get up to speed.

The problem with any of the Long-EZ plans is that there have been so many good modifications since the plans were published that it takes some study to determine what mods to do and how to do them. Why not build a Cozy IV? The Cozy plans are more detailed and the airplane has a bit more utility. Cost would not be much more than a Long-EZ.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Read this Advisory Circular from the FAA. You can build a Long-EZ as you describe, but Kent makes some good points. Also, out of courtesy to Burt, I'll say that you should not build a "Long-EZ" as you describe. Instead, build an Open-EZ or just register it as something else, like the BigMouse-EZ.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV