Main landing gear retracts

tonyslongez

Tony,

The first release version of the Manual and Wiring diagrams are uploaded on my web site. This is the Model #LE-TG. These should be very close to final version.

http://www.iflyez.com/gear_controller.shtml

I have the PLC on order, it should be here by the end of the week.

I've loaded the TG firmware into my existing controller to test it, initial look is good.

I need to modify my Landing Gear simulator for your configuration. When I get the PLC, I'll load the firmware into it and test it on my Landing Gear Simulator.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

• 2 months later...

Tony;

The drawings, manual, and software are complete. As far as the controller, your system resembles that of the Berkut (A Cozy IV would also use this controller).

Your system will be wired a little different because your mains are mechanically tied together, one actuator drives both mains. The Berkut uses two separate actuators, one for each gear leg.

Download the DRAWINGS and MANUAL for the Berkut controller at;

http://www.iflyez.com/gear_controller.shtml

Although I ran the software against my simulator, I still need to run it on my airplane for final verification. I'll do this next time I get my plane back up on jacks (within the next couple weeks).

If you (or any one else) have any questions, Call me or send me an e-mail:

waiter (AT) iflyez (DOT) com

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

That mill looks sweet! 40 taper tooling? I didn't see a HMI, does it use a PC interface? Or, is it not in the picture?

I am always looking for an online auction with a CNC 40 taper mill that has something wrong with it (I fix em) that I can get cheap. Every time I find a really good deal, someone beats me by $20! But the newer ones (name brand, Okuma, Haas, Mazak, Fadal, Mits, Mori-Seiki, etc) used are more than new off-brand machines.

I tried to get that mmacatuator dot com and the site is gone. What's up with that?

I am down the street from "Magnum" about 20 miles. I am building my own gear as well. I have tried several drawings on my "Alibre" CAD program and have had to make changes when I put it to animation. I was going to use a carbon fiber main structure with a trailing arm link. The bottom of the wing is the outer part of the gear and the shape is designed so the airflow assists in the gear lowering, the fail safe position is down and locked. It is taking awhile to design it using different available spring shock designs and actuators. The most difficult part is finding room in the strake for the gear without having to change it's length by mechanical means. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible so there is less points for failure.

When I get something definite, I post the drawings in DXF. Otherwise, maybe I can hook up sometime in Punta Gorda, when I get time off.

LAter! Back to work!

Back to building... #618 Cozy MK IV

My Cozy web pages, courtesy: Rick Maddy... :cool: WN9G :rolleyes:

Doc

Here is the address for the mill http://www.tormach.com/Product_PCNC_main.html

it's an R8 spindle. So far this is the only medium sized cnc machine that I have found that is easy to move and runs on 220 single phase perfect for the hanger or garage.

As far as MMac in concerned I just called them and got a cell phone voice mail, left a message for a Mike, maybe he'll call me back and let me know the scoop.

It is taking awhile to design it using different available spring shock designs and actuators. The most difficult part is finding room in the strake for the gear without having to change it's length by mechanical means. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible so there is less points for failure.

That's why I didn't go into the strakes. It seemed alot easier to just tuck them up under the belly of the fuse, you don't loose any fuel capicity.

and like you said it has air assistance coming down.

Tony

for the price of that you could get a bigger old machine and retro fit it with EMC (www.linuxcnc.org)

this is what i have done in my workshop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/rallyslag/31012007175.jpg

your only issue is space and available power really but the larger machines tend to have much better motors (servo's and encoders instead of cheaper steppers)

and ball screw motion

your only issue is space and available power really but the larger machines tend to have much better motors (servo's and encoders instead of cheaper steppers)

and ball screw motion

Colin

I agree 100% with you I could buy a bridgeport or tree mill and retrofit it but the problem is as you pointed out is space and power. Don't forget the weight of those older machines they weigh upwards of 2000lbs or more I don't want to move it or have it influence me moving if I decide to buy a newer house. You may laugh at that but I just talked to a gentleman in Arizona who had they same problem. It's like trying to move a 2000lb dead gorrilla you really don't look forward to something like that.(I have a clausing 8520 that I hate to move and it's not that heavy 1300lbs) Now if I had a permanent place to put it I would do just that buy an older machine and retrofit it myself the only other thing with that is time to retrofit the machine, time that could've been spent making parts with a machine that is allready to go.

Tony