Local/Backyard or Remote Shop?

My workshop is not attached to the house I will have to construct it from ground up. Ive been looking at a prefab 16' X 20' at home depot for 5000 dollars. I think I could just buy the materials and build it from scratch for cheaper. If im going to build a plane that flies I should be able to construct a shed. I also have limited yard space and very strick building codes where I live. Only other place I could build is 17 miles away. little bit of a drive to check on things ex. vacuum bagging parts, I figure I need to stay close while doing this.

I know this dosent have much to do with the open ez but its my biggest hangup.

Lynn

I know this dosent have much to do with the open ez but its my biggest hangup.

Since this post was entirely about your shop setup, I split and moved to this forum.

My workshop is not attached to the house I will have to construct it from ground up. Ive been looking at a prefab 16' X 20' at home depot for 5000 dollars. I think I could just buy the materials and build it from scratch for cheaper. If im going to build a plane that flies I should be able to construct a shed.

Yah... pick one to spend: Time or Money. Or figure out a combination of both.

I also have limited yard space and very strick building codes where I live. Only other place I could build is 17 miles away. little bit of a drive to check on things ex. vacuum bagging parts, I figure I need to stay close while doing this.

I could not imagine driving somewhere to build. Unless you're single or with no kids, it would be quite trying. I would definitely recommend keeping it very close to where you live.

Ive been looking at a prefab 16' X 20' at home depot for 5000 dollars.

Shop around. I was able to get a nice prefab shed/garage after not liking Home Depot's prices. I ordered from an outfit 2 states away.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

G'day Velocity Dreamer,

If you have the $$$ go prefab as much as possible and pay someone to put it up.

I bought a 20'X30' garage kit here in Australia for approx $4000.00 AUS (from memory) But I still had to put it up and also still had to provide concrete, then put a slab in (Another $1500 AUS).

I had never built a garage before so it took some mucking around. If you do decide to put one up yourself, reccomend you have at least two others helping you, makes life so much easier.

You can see my garage at the thread below.

Currently I am fitting out the inside of my garage.

Jamie

http://www.canardzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1528

"An upsidedown Australian that wants to build an aircraft that flys backwards"

I built a Pole Barn three years ago.

24' x 32' with 10' ceiling. Concrete floor, Insulated walls and ceiling, gas furnace, sheetrock finished walls and ceiling, electric, Ethernet, phone, CATV. and running water.

Except for the concrete floor (I hire two guys to do that) and when I installed the roof trusses (Two friends helped with this) I did all the work myself.

It took about four months, I rented a Bobcat on the 1st of November to drill the pole holes and grade the site. On Thanksgiving weekend, with the poles installed, we pored the concrete floor. A couple weeks later, I had two friends help me install the roof trusses. The remainder of the work was completed in the dead of winter. Once the exterior metal roof and skins were installed, (15 gazillion screws) I installed a 16x8 foot insulated garage door, and a 36 inch people door to seal off the outside.

Work on the interior went faster, as I used a Kerosene heater to make the temperature more tolerable. The electric wiring and plumbing went in, then the insulation and sheetrock went up.

The whole project cost right at $10,000.

Carter Lumber had the plans and supplied a complete "kit". All the raw materials needed to build the barn, delivered to my site, for about $5,000. (included 16x8 garage door and 36inch people door).

Concrete cost about 1,700 and the two installers were paid 300. (floor and about 50 ft of side walk)

The rest of the $3,000 was insullation, sheetrock, gas furnace ($500 with flue pipe), Automatic Garage door opener, Electric panel and wire, and underground plumbing/wiring to connect everything to the house.

Good luck

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com