COZY Forum at OSHKOSH 2006

Folks:

I am pleased to announce that Daryl Lueck and I will be co-hosting the COZY Forum at OSH 2006. We have not received the paperwork from Nat quite yet, so it's not clear what the day and time will be, but we'll announce that as soon as we get it settled with the EAA.

So, two years ago, when I gave the forum last, I gave a very general history of the COZY, it's benefits, some building info, and some personal experiences with the plane. Last year, Nat gave a very good presentation on canard/COZY aerodynamics. Both of these presentations can be reviewed on the COZY builders web site.

I've got a few ideas for things to talk about, but I would like to solicit ideas and requests from you all - what would you like to hear/learn/talk about, with respect to COZY's and/or canards in general? Info for prospective builders, info for builders, info for flyers, technical info, whatever - suggest away. If I need to do some research to address your issue, I will.

Please reply directly to me via email at the address below - have at it.

I am pleased to announce that Daryl Lueck and I will be co-hosting the COZY Forum at OSH 2006.

Great!

I've got a few ideas for things to talk about, but I would like to solicit ideas and requests from you all - what would you like to hear/learn/talk about, with respect to COZY's and/or canards in general?

I don't think I'll be able to attend this year, so hopefully someone can arrange to have the presentation taped again.

For topics, how about a high-level FAQ-type format, bulleted, that works for everyone ranging from those considering building/purchasing, early builders, majority-complete builders, to flyers. I think the audience is relatively new these days, and that the seasoned flyers -- those with experience that could also give a presentation -- need not necessarily be catered to. What's left for them to know?

I feel the driving force of these presentations should be to create awareness and understanding of the type, and to assist those that are early on with completing. The simple goal, IMO, should be to get more Cozys flying.

So... some specific topics that may or may not help:

• How I flew from Tehachapi to New Jersey to pick-up Jon Matcho
  • Why a canard (summarize Nat's 2005 presentation in 60 seconds)
  • Can I build one? How much will it cost me? How long will it take? Is it hard?
  • Can I buy one? How much?
  • What's the support network like?
  • How many are flying?
I know, that sounds like topics in your 2004 talk, but would be nice to have handouts at least. These would also be appealing (to me at least):

• Modifications (could spend the whole presentation on this)
  • Approved vs. unapproved (who's approving these days -- this will soon become out-of-date)
  • Safety considerations
  • Examples (small to large)
  • Canopies
  • Panels
  • Seating
  • Retracts (can't avoid it)
[*]What's the future of the Cozy?
  • Get Jim Irwin of Aircraft Spruce to say a few words!
  • What do YOU think the future of the Cozy is?
[*]Where does AeroCad fit in?
  • Cozy parts?
  • Modified Cozy -- the AeroCanard?
  • Get Al Aldrich to say a few words? Yikes!
[*]Discuss the parts supplier network
  • Can all parts be acquired?
  • What are the risks with suppliers? Which supplier going out of business will halt my build? How would the community recover?

Dang, I wish I could be there...

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 4 weeks later...

Marc, how about coordinating a taping of your presentation as was last time you did it? I still have the DVD of that presentation...

That is a good idea Jon. That would be good for people that can't make it this year.

Regarding last years DVD, I assume this is a private recording, not something you bought? If so, do you think you could make this available for download so interested parties can get a copy? I can assist you in making it available for download if you would like.

Thanks,

--Ed

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

Ed, last year's wasn't filmed (I believe), but the presentation handout was very good I thought. That presentation and more are available at http://www.cozybuilders.org/Oshkosh_Presentations/index.htm

I think the DVD was made available on the COZY mailing list for a few bucks to those interested.

It's an hour of video, and I'll see about converting it to an MPEG file for download. I'll need to get a round tuit first...

I think the DVD was made available on the COZY mailing list for a few bucks to those interested.

The 2004 presentation was filmed by Mark Beduhn, who is an amateur filmmaker.

It's an hour of video, and I'll see about converting it to an MPEG file for download.

You should do no such thing. I have to say, the lack of respect for copyright protection on these fora are, IMNSHO, deplorable.

The DVD was filmed and is owned by Mark Beduhn. If someone wants a copy, they should contact Mark and see if he has any more copies to sell. As of 8/4/2004, he was selling them for $15 including S&H.

As far as suggestions for the presentation, I asked: "Please reply directly to me via email at the address below - have at it." Posting suggestions here is not the optimal way to get your opinions heard, and your suggestions done.

You should do no such thing. I have to say, the lack of respect for copyright protection on these fora are, IMNSHO, deplorable.

The DVD was filmed and is owned by Mark Beduhn. If someone wants a copy, they should contact Mark and see if he has any more copies to sell. As of 8/4/2004, he was selling them for $15 including S&H.

Marc, thanks for the info. I was not aware the video Jon was talking about is the one being sold by Mark. That is why I asked if it was a private (non-commercial) video, then we would have no issues in sharing it.

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten who did it.

It's an hour of video, and I'll see about converting it to an MPEG file for download.

You should do no such thing.

You are right... I was assuming whoever-made-it (Mark Beduhn) wouldn't mind, but will ask his permission first (and for any spare round tuits that he might have). :)

I have to say, the lack of respect for copyright protection on these fora are, IMNSHO, deplorable.

If you have to say, and IF there was a violation of copyright (which I'd like to know about), then I assure you it has nothing to do with a lack of respect.

If you're about to tell me that you have express written permission for everything on your own Web site, including:

• ALL electronic pictures, icons, and images (Or did you create every pixel?)
  • Canard Pusher Newsletters (from Burt or RAF or TERF?)
then I'm not buying that. Or are you just the pot calling the kettle black? Or is it throwing stones out of your glass house? What about the Long-EZ and VariEze POHs available at www.ez.org? Should we call the lawyers so we'll be, as a community, better off?

This is taken from the Central States Newsletter under the "fair use" doctrine.

So what makes your Fair Use more fair than anyone else's? How is reprinting an article from the CSA, presumably without permission, Fair Use when it can be said that this reduces CSA back-issue sales for that particular article? Make sure your own site is in 100% compliance first Marc, before you start making profound accusations about "these fora".

That's all that needed to be said Mark, and was definitely worth saying, but I suppose that it's always good for someone to be entertained by the impact of your online persona.

As far as suggestions for the presentation, I asked: "Please reply directly to me via email at the address below - have at it."

I missed that somehow; I wasn't ignoring it.

Posting suggestions here is not the optimal way to get your opinions heard, and your suggestions done.

If you say so.

Just after I wrote that post, I instant-messaged Marc and we "talked" for a bit. We talked abou the Long-EZ/Open-EZ drawings, which you can trace roots through the Project: Free Long-EZ Templates thread. That thread ran its course and was closed. The Introducing the Open-EZ 2-place tandem canard thread was created in respect of Burt Rutan's supposed wishes to "kill off" (my words) the Long-EZ model. The thinking is that if no more Long-EZs are to be built, then let's build Open-EZs.

Marc and I talked a bit more about the Fair Use clause of US Copyright Law (being lawyers ourselves :rolleyes: ) and managed to "agree to disagree". Regardless, I remain convinced that the Open-EZ is well within the bounds of Fair Use and that there is no foul play being committed whatsoever.

Back on topic... (and this is NOT an I-told-you-so -- Marc did make an entirely valid point), I asked Mark Beduhn whether it would be okay to convert the video to a MPEG file for download and he was fine with that. This brings us back to the real issue -- getting the video converted into an MPEG file. I was just musing about the possibility (last time I do that again :) ), and would have to find out how to do this. So... the best bet, for now at least, is to send kindly ask Mark Beduhn if you can trade 15 of your dollars for a DVD.

Sorry for the commotion.

Converting a video cassette to MPEG format is very easy. The only thing needed is a TV card, or, in my case, an external TV module connected by USB to my laptop. These TV cards or modules accept composite video input from a VCR and convert it to MPEG format. You burn the resulting MPEG file to a CD or DVD and presto! There's, however, less and less need for conversion as almost all modern videocameras have digital video-out. Could we foreigners/aliens :-) hope that some kind soul record this year's forum and make the video available online, with the presenter's permission of course?

Kumaros

It's all Greek to me

I'm not a lawyer, but one of our corporate lawyers once told me that a copyright and/or patent was deemed invalid by courts if it wasn't defended by the holder, and thus passed into the public domain. Of course that also doesn't make it right, but his take was that we should only file things we fully intended to protect. FWIW.

Brett

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

Converting a video cassette to MPEG format is very easy.

This is even easier... just need software to "RIP" the DVD. I did 5 minutes of it last night and ended up with a 50MB MP4 file.

I'm not a lawyer, but one of our corporate lawyers once told me that a copyright and/or patent was deemed invalid by courts if it wasn't defended by the holder, and thus passed into the public domain. Of course that also doesn't make it right, but his take was that we should only file things we fully intended to protect.

Yes, I've been told that too, but in slightly different terms. If you do not protect your copyright or trademark (I gather patents are the same), then your work will slip into the public domain and be near impossible to get back. Also, if you let a known infringement continue, that can become evidence of your acceptance of the work into the public domain. A real mess... ask me how I know. :mad:

Talking about the Long-EZ, I would consider this "strategy" an end-run and unethical, even though most infringements IMO are accidental. This is not the route being taken with the Open-EZ.

On the webcast idea, it would be impossible to webcast from Oshkosh live, but very easy to serve the video after the fact. Apple has made it's Quicktime Streaming Server available on several platforms, for free, and the bandwidth requirements aren't that severe, as adding new viewers just adds an IP address to the multicast pool. As long as the video has been sufficiently compressed so that it doesn't completely saturate the outgoing network connection of the server, the internet takes care of getting the packets where they are going. Video-on-demand type of webcasts require a lot more hardware and a lot more bandwidth.

-- Len

-- Len Evansic, Cozy Mk. IV Plans #1283

Do you need a Flightline Chair, or other embroidered aviation accessory?

• 1 month later...

Folks:

Well, we finally have a schedule for the COZY forum at OSH. Even though it's not up on the Airventure web page yet, I've been told that we will be giving the forum on Friday, July 28th, 2006 at 1:00 PM. I don't know which forum tent yet.

We will have three presenters for the Forum:

1) Me (Marc Zeitlin) - general COZY/canard info - condensation of 2004's talk with some extras from the suggestion box - I'll address some common modifications

2) Daryl Lueck - - not sure as to Daryl's topic yet, or he may have a supporting role for the other talks

3) Chris Essylstyn - will discuss his heavily modified, 12" stretched, O-540 powered, retractable landing gear COZY MKIV. This should be VERY interesting!

As an added attraction, Nat Puffer has informed me that he's hoping to make it to OSH, the dinner, and the forum this year, although he will have to drive to get there :-).

Daryl will be scheduling the COZY dinner - I'm hoping that it will be Thursday evening, as I have to depart for the east coast on Friday afternoon after the forum, but it'll be a great time no matter what or when - Daryl and Kim always do a great job.

• 2 months later...

Is anyone (with more space in their vehicle than me? ;-) ) bringing their camcorder to Oshkosh to record the Cozy Forum? I was hoping the recording could then be made available on the net for download by everyone.

If someone is recording it and can make it available in some digital format, I can help out on converting it to a reasonable size afterwards. I'm just trying to see if I will need to bring my camcorder to Oshkosh, along with tapes, battery, tripod, etc. Our car will be cramped as it is.

Please respond ASAP!

Thanks.

--Ed Savage

Cozy Mark IV #1032