new design SQ-2000

gupri

• 2 months later...

I briefly dropped by at Dayton on my flight to Sun&Fun. Saw Stan Montgomery there. There are a couple of options that may affect the SQ2000. One is an fixed gear option - see photo at http://www.abri.com/sq2000/sq-fg.jpg (recent photo of Stan behind the hoist chain at the factory). The fixed gear has a 10 foot stance which will have good taxiing stability in winds as compared to typical 6 foot stance. The other news is a turbine engine (from ???) that Stan is experimenting with for the SQ2000.

------------------------------------

http://www.abri.com/sq2000/

There are some 320 odd websites dealing with the KLS Composites SQ-2000 and I must have picked the news up on one of them - can't remember which one though. From memory there was a wider fuselage and the Infinity 1 main gear for it available.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

So you really are not building an SQ-2000 - but something similar. SQ-2000 is similar to Velocity. What will you call your new design? SI-2006? When can we see some photos or drawings? Why not start your own design section in the forum for your SI-2006?

Not sure what the comment relevance about "JD Newman will EVER sell his gear to ..." is. Will you be using his gear and will he sell it to you on credit?

BTW just recently had my gear broke down on landing. I think there is a need to seriously reinforce some things on the retracts. Stan M. also had the gear fail on him twice - probably the reason he is having the fixed gear option.

When can we see some photos or drawings? Why not start your own design section in the forum for your SI-2006?

Steve, let me know if you want and I'll create a sub-forum in the Projects section with you as the moderator.

BTW just recently had my gear broke down on landing. I think there is a need to seriously reinforce some things on the retracts. Stan M. also had the gear fail on him twice - probably the reason he is having the fixed gear option.

Ouch... how about considering putting in fixed gear until you get things sorted out? What are you going to do?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Steve,

So you really are not building an SQ-2000 - but something similar. SQ-2000 is similar to Velocity. What will you call your new design? SI-2006? When can we see some photos or drawings? Why not start your own design section in the forum for your SI-2006?

Remember me? -- I sent you an email about 4 months & asked for some pics of your plane.

I've been working on it non-stop and have the fuselage shell completed. I just installed F-22 and am working on finalizing the seat, instrument panel, and air-duct positions. Here's a pic of the installed F-22. I've built part of the upper hull too, it's just not installed yet.

I'm writing plans for it, should have a draft of the first section ready for Oshkosh. Hoping to get a couple adventurous builders to become "beta testers" as I develop the design and finalize the plans.

I haven't settled on a name yet. Any ideas???

Not sure what the comment relevance about "JD Newman will EVER sell his gear to ..." is. Will you be using his gear and will he sell it to you on credit?

What I meant was there was some bad blood between JD & Stan during the SQ2000 development. Stan ended up redesigning the gear, which I guess is what you have.

post-529-141090153756_thumb.jpg

What I meant was there was some bad blood between JD & Stan during the SQ2000 development.

That's an awfully restrained way of putting it.

Looks like nice work, so far. On a 4 place canard it's tough to get a nice, fair, pleasing shape to the nose.

For the name, you could continue the "Zee" name series. It's a 4 place, not so tight as the Cozy. Big enough for you and your friends.

The Frenzy. 'Cause you gotta be a little nuts to build you own airplane. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

> BTW just recently had my gear broke down ....

Ouch... how about considering putting in fixed gear until you get things sorted out? What are you going to do?

I am bussy fixing it. I still prefer the retracts - less drag in flight and more drag when down for a real speed brake effect. I'll just patiently take the time and design a reinforcement of the failed (brace upper) pivot. The other two pins/pivots have been reinforced and did not contribute to the RG failure.

You can see the FAA accident report at http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20060424X00479&ntsbno=CHI06CA111&akey=1

However I think "substantial" damage rating is a bit high. I figure it will be about $500 materials to fix it - plus lots of my patient spare time. The biggest cost was hauling it home 900 miles by road. Anybody need a canard hauler jig? See it at my website: http://www.abri.com/sq2000/

Paul,

Sorry to hear about this failure.

Without having any more information other than the NTSB report.

Based on the description of alternating direction and distance between skid marks, it sounds like a shimmy.

If this is true, was the shimmy a result of the brace failure, or did the shimmy contribute to a brace failure?

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Paul,

Sorry to hear about this failure.

Without having any more information other than the NTSB report.

Based on the description of alternating direction and distance between skid marks, it sounds like a shimmy.

If this is true, was the shimmy a result of the brace failure, or did the shimmy contribute to a brace failure?

Waiter

The pin failed. But the brace did not come off for a while. There is a shoulder extension from the trunion plate into an inset in the brace. So the brace moved back and forth slopily on that shoulder - hard to describe - until it slipped off. The back and forth sloppy motion is what I think caused the alternating left/right bouncy skid marks. If I knew that quickly, it may have been possible just to turn on more hudraulic pressure on and hold it there - hindsight..... It was not a "shimmy" but it felt like a poggo stick with the plane bouncing up (on the right wheel spring) and down rapidly after touchdown - weird sensation. I am redesigning the pin (bolt) anchor to improve it - the bolt will be held from two sides of the brace rather than current one side.

I saw Infinity Aerospace gear current design at airshows and some brace connections have only one side pin anchor and may fail like in my case. Initially I had some dandy rough landings - tough little plane - I am better at it now.

But whats so new about RG failings, even in certifieds?

I think I had read somewhere about that pin failing. From other lists there is at least the suggestion that newer gear has redesigned this point of failure to hopefully prevent it in the future.

Nathan Gifford

Tickfaw, LA USA

Cozy Mk IV Plans Set 1330

Better still --> Now at CH 9