Roncz canard on a VE

SpaceShipOne

Have you sent them an email? I got mine from these guys, but they seem to leave abandoned websites around. Here's another:

http://abianconi.hypermart.net/Vortex.htm

NJ is where I got mine from, so hopefully the address is OK.

Brett

---

Brett Ferrell

Velocity XL/FG

Cincinnati, OH

http://www.velocityxl.com

Well, I got through to them. Thanks.

So it looks like I will be getting the VGs around the same time I get the new propeller from Mr. Catto.

Anyone found any threads or documentation on the placement on the canard as well as any other locations that would help aileron responce and possibly other spots that may help with drag.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i'm in the process of putting on the VGs now. Got one side done. Got a call from Craig Catto today. The prop will be done by September 6th or so.

So these are the things I replaced, repaired, or added to the plane since last month.

-New Plugs

-New Spin on oil filter

-Oil Change

-New Air filter

-New High Temp Silicone baffling

-New high temp Carb heat and main air intake hoses

-New EGT Probe

-New Oil Temp Probe

-New Switches for Nav lights, strobes, and radio power

-Added 2nd RPM sensor for the digital tach (only read one magnito before)

-Glassed in new Vans Atkins fuel sight gauges w/ ball float (my old ones began to leak)

Gas smell gave me a headache when I flew before I realized I had a leak

-New outside temp gauge

-Tinted the canopy

-Cleaned gas cap O rings (I wanted to buy new ones but I cant seem to find

the right size on spruce.)

-Serviced Gascolator

-Flushed Brake fuid and master cylenders

-Added lighted Digital clock w/ stopwatch

-Repaired and re-installed landing gear doors

-Repaired kiss type spinner

-Repaired cracks and a small hole in cowling

-And of course waiting on my new composite prop from Craig Catto

Whew. It was a lot of work. I just need to safty wire everything, fillout the logs, and have my A&P check it out. Then for some test flights and off to Catalina island I go.

• 1 month later...

Well I just got my prop. Hell of a long time to wait. But man what a beauty! I got white with red tips. I will post pics later. Torqued it on and wired it up. Did a runup. Pretty sweet. Going to fly it probably this weekend. All the Vortex Generators are on too. So I'm ready to go.

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

anyone read a discussion on the Cozy-newsletter about eliminating all rain trouble and vortex generators by sanding the canard?

Here a (shameless) copy, thanks to the Cozy-newsletter!!:

GU CANARD TRIM CHANGE (Nick Parkyn)

"It is proven and accepted that a trim change occurs in rain or when condensation forms on a canard which uses the GU airfoil (used on early Rutan Canards). There are accepted solutions to the problem, including the replacement of the canard with one using the Roncz-designed airfoil. The paper A review of low Reynolds Number research at Glasgow University by Galbraith and Cotton of the Department of Aerospace Engineering at Glasgow, suggests that, when they became aware of the real world problems with the GU airfoil-based canard, further research was done. The reduced performance in rain was primarily a result of water droplet formation on the high gloss surface of the canard. If the surface finish had been matt, the associated modification in surface tension effects would have ensured a more even distribution of water over the surface of the airfoil, so retaining its original shape and performance. If you apply this concept by removing the high gloss finish from the surface of the GU canard with very fine wet and dry sandpaper, using only a chord-wise rubbing action, you will achieve the suggested matt finish without destroying the potential for laminar flow."

GU CANARD TRIM CHANGE

The note from Nick Parkyn that we published last newsletter about the GU canard was in our newsletter file quite a long time. It sounded so illogical, we were reluctant to publish it. Shortly thereafter we got a letter from Marc Pichot:

10/4/99

Dear Nat,

When I received newsletter #67 (about sanding the GU canard to correct the trim change in rain) I removed the vortex generators and began to sand my canard chordwise with 400 grit wet paper. On 10/2/99 my canard was totally sanded. Same day outside it was raining cats & dogs, so I pushed FMP out of the hangar. I was afraid to take off because of poor visibility, but decided to do a taxi test. At 50 kts, the canard was flying. The 5,600 ft long runway was sufficient to make 3 trials with a 20 kts wind. Back at the hangar, I asked my friends what they noted. They said the angle of attack was 10 degrees easily. So, when the visibility improved, I did another test and flew about 1 meter above the ground. No doubt, the canard was performing far better than with the vortex generators. The V.G. solution is a stopgap compared to what I noted today during 95 minutes and 3 landings. On take off, the power of the stick is double. Takeoff was at 65 kts, climb in clear sky is better than 1500 ft/min (remember, my engine is an 0-235 C2A). Level at 2000ft with 2450 rpm speed is 145 kts indicated, and 5 to 7 kts more than previously. At 2600 rpm, 150/155 kts and it is impressive. Then flying through rain, trimming is so easy that I will never install vortex generators on the canard again. I have V.G.s on the main wing ahead of the ailerons. I will try on the wing what I did on the canard. Aerospatiale is working on this to reduce the drag on the Airbus A340. On landing flare was good before, but seems better now. I get excited like a flea on a fat dog during this flight, and upset against the Glascow University guys to give us THE SOLUTION after 15 years of use on Rutan aircraft!

Marc Pichot

Pont l'Abbe France

Best Regards,

thjakits