THE DUCTED FAN......(again)

Hi all,

I am sorry for bringing this topic to the table one more time, but I feel that we're just not trying hard enough to figure this little problem out. I'm talking of course about "DUCTED FANS". I know, I know it's been tried before with limited success, but it is very hard for me to believed that no one person out there has being able to design a fan, buried in an airframe, mated with a powerplant and make work.

We do have the technology to do this, we have the RENESIS, TONS OF DESIGN SOFTWARE, BRILLIANT HOMEBUILDERS AND EXPERIMENTERS, AND THE INTERNET TO WORK TOGETHER.

So, how about it people. Does anybody has a copy of "LOCKEED MARTINS F35B LIFT FAN BLUEPRINTS"?, its a good starting point.

Eddy

DREAM-A1 :D

Take a look at this:

www.ductedfan.com

Mike has spent a lot of time researcheing and flying with his fan.

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Hello!

...it is very hard for me to believed that no one person out there has being able to design a fan, buried in an airframe, mated with a powerplant and make work.

After you try to design any sort of substantial modification, not even a new design, you'll understand why there are no homebuilt ducted fan planes out there.

Canards are cool enough as-is, and Perry Mick's www.ductedfan.com was/is absolutely beautiful, but even he decided to convert back to a propellor.

He is looking to do a LSA version of the Solitaire, which I find rather interesting: http://www.bridgingworlds.com/LSA.htm

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hello!

Canards are cool enough as-is, and Perry Mick's www.ductedfan.com was/is absolutely beautiful, but even he decided to convert back to a propellor.

Hi Jon,

I agree with you 125%, canards are the coolest aircraft flying homebuilt or otherwise. I am also aware of Perry Mick research on the subject, but my point is (eventhough infantile as it may seem) I want my homebuilt F18 HORNET :(

• 4 years later...

I think the problem he had with excessive drag on his ducted fan is that the duct adds a lot of drag that wasn't taken advantage of for lift. In other words, the duct adds a lot of lifting surface so to compensate for that the rear wings and vertical tails should have been reduced by a similar amount in order to compensate. Then maybe there wouldn't have been extra drag?