Long EZ size?

kapelrud

I'm 6' 5" tall; would I fit into the cockpit of a standard Long EZ?

My back has a somewhat "normal" length, but my legs are pretty long. Is it possible to modify the Long EZ so that my legs can get enough room, if standard plans gives to little leg space? (Like a Berkut-sized nose or similar?)

(My first post to this forum. I'm only 19 years old, and I'm currently studying physics at a university (NTNU) in Trondheim, Norway. So I can't afford to start a building project as of today, but I would very much like to do it in the future; in about 6-7 years or so :sad::rolleyes: )

Shouldn't be a problem. Normally you don't fly an EZ with your feet on the rudders, they are actually in front of the rudders.

I am light 160 - 170 lbs ( So when I build mine, I actually moved the pilots seat forward 2 inches. (CG issue)

I'm 6 foot tall, and with the pilots seat forward 2 inches, I still have no problems with the rudder pedals.

I have my rudder peddls adjusted so that its actually starts getting uncomfortable if I leave my feet on the rudders to long (30 - 45 minutes)

There are taylor made adjustments to make the airplane fit the pilot. Most EZs (if not all) should be capable of reconfiguring the rudder pedals and brakes for long or short legged people. Its not an adjustment you can make before every flight, because it may require reconfiguring cables and brackets, with nuts and bolts.

Good Luck

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

Baggage, NO, ballast Maybe. (you may not have room for 5 lbs of baggage, but you can always find room for a 5 lb sheet of lead)

I tood extra care to put everything as far forward as I could. Brake master cylinders, Strobe Power Supply, Battery forward of F22 instead on on F22. The battery was a high density Recombinant Gas that weighed 24 lbs.

When I finished I had a mid CG (100) aircraft, with no ballast, Empty weight of 947 lbs

When I added an MT prop a couple years later, I had an aft CG (102) airplane. and an empty weight very close to 1000 lbs

All this and still NO BALLAST. :banana:

I have a feeling when I finish my current round of mods, I may need ballast. The ballast will most likely come in the form of an additional battery. (I need anyway for dual electronic ignition) I'm not selecting a battery until complete, then I 'll select the battery based on weight. The additional battery will also serve as my ballast. Hopefully, I shouldn't need to install any lead plates.

If you plan to build, Be aware of weight. Also attempt to move as much weight forward as possible (especially if your running an O-320 with full electrical system, starter, 55 amp alternator, etc)

Waiter

F16 performance on a Piper Cub budget

LongEZ, 160hp, MT CS Prop, Downdraft cooling, Full retract

visit: www.iflyez.com

• 13 years later...
1 hour ago, jimbo2000 said:

please give me the rule of thumb of the center of gravity on Rutan long EZ. Please from actual experience, not just from textbook!

Hmmm,  Tell us what you are trying to do and I can tell you if it sounds possible.  An EZ with an O-32O usually needs a longer nose and some lead shot ballast in the nose but it will carry most any sized pilot.  Mine had battery in the long nose, another 15 lbs of shot just ahead of the rudder pedals, O-320, and flew well with me (230 lbs) and a 230 lb pax.  Perfomance was good.  Here is a link to the Long-ez Pilot Operation Handbook.  CG info at about p. 27.

http://iflyez.com/DOWNLOAD/PilotOperatingHandbook.PDF

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

need 1000 hrs to get into a jet warbird to take the type rated test, I hate the 172 that I learned on 40 years or so ago, so the long ez seems a suitable situation for 3 or so years to get the time in a fixed wing aircraft. I'm 230 and 6'2" in size. You seem to answer all and knowledgeable on the Rutan builds and derivatives. Since I don't like the lycoming engines although it is the most used in aviation, I will be replacing it with a T50-bo-12  @360hp pusher. I do not want to start from scratch and will buy a project from somebody and inspect it before purchase.

I choose the long EZ because it's the most widely used canard without much problems and accidents. I would also like to cruise around 250 to 350 according to the safety specs of the canard design. 

I am a helicopter guy but want to be in a mach .8 warbird before leaving or being to old to do it.

Thnx for your input!  

1 hour ago, jimbo2000 said:

I don't like the lycoming engines although it is the most used in aviation, I will be replacing it with a T50-bo-12  @360hp pusher.

It does not sound practical but what do I know?  You might talk to Robert Harris in Covington, TN   https://www.jetguys.co/blog   He built the last jet EZ I know about.  https://newsline.kitplanes.com/2017/08/09/lance-hooley-jet-eze/     (which crashed, BTW, killing the pilot)    He would probably have an opinion whether it's doable.  Personally, it doesn't seem to make much sense to go into an expensive, difficult, never-been-done project to fly at speeds way above the design speed when you only want to build hours.  

Jets are the opposite from hour-builders.  You fly for 45-90 minutes and look for a place to land.  An O-320 Long-ez can fly for 6-7 hours.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold