First Order Chapters 4-9

Joe Patterson

I am putting together my first order.I will be placing it for Chapters 4-9, at the minimum. I will not PLACE the order for a week or two........... Please make any comment you think may be pertinent.

I have several questions.

First let me mention a few Modifications to take into account.

MODS:

1.) I will have a forward opening Canopy. (not per plans)

2.) I will be using custom Headrests. (not per plans)

Questions:

1.) Seat Belt & Harness Sets.....AS&S calls for Style#5,

1A.)What color are these?....

1B.)Is AS&S THE Place to Purchase these from?

2.)UNI & BID Fiberglass, It looks like the ENTIRE Plane is built with only Two types, UNI/7715 & BID/7725..(I think I would just as soon get all I need at once.)

2A.)How many Yards in a Roll? Would you buy a ROLL?

2B.)How Many Yards on a Cozy?

3.) Brakes/Cleveland...

3A.)Is this the brake to buy?

3B.)Is AS&S the place to buy them?

Any and all comments will be appreciated.

In your debt.....Joe:cool:

Joseph@TheNativeSpirit.Net

I am Building a Jo-Z IV StarShip.

What Do YOU Want?

1A.)What color are these?....

Black

1B.)Is AS&S THE Place to Purchase these from?

Yes. They're almost half the price of the Wicks ones. The buckles on the Wicks ones are chrome and the Spruce ones arnt, but otherwise they're the same (in appearance at least). But.... You REALLY dont need the seat belts until the final prep for flight. Mine just gathered dust, almost got painted and lost and got in the way until only recently.

2.)UNI & BID Fiberglass, It looks like the ENTIRE Plane is built with only Two types, UNI/7715 & BID/7725..(I think I would just as soon get all I need at once.)

2A.)How many Yards in a Roll? Would you buy a ROLL?

2B.)How Many Yards on a Cozy?

Definately buy a roll of BID. I kept running out. I'm not sure how much UNI we use. It may not add up to a full roll.

3.) Brakes/Cleveland...

3A.)Is this the brake to buy?

No. (IMHO)

3B.)Is AS&S the place to buy them?

No. I'd recommed the Matco's from JD Newman Infinituaerospace.com They're almost double the stopping power and even a little cheaper. Marc's flying with them. Perhaps he'd care to comment. Beware - this brake issue is one of the most emotive issues after pump / scale. Check the archives to see both sides. The naysayers basically say the Cleavlands are "good enough", and one builder got a warped disk from Matco back in 1964.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

I believe you use twice as much uni as bid, two rolls to one, about 200 uni to 100 bid

and i used 20 yards 3 oz fine weave crowfoot to line tanks, i got it from thayercraft, also a cozy builder

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

chapter nine, main landing gear - ORDER THIS PART months before you need, common to have a 6-8 week delivery, just like the other parts from featherlite and brock.

These are small manufacturers making small batches for us and as such items are not normally or always in stock, that is just the way it is, don't complain, just order early

enjoy the build

dust

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

Hi All,

Dust's post:

> chapter nine, main landing gear - ORDER THIS PART months before you need, common to have a 6-8 week delivery, just like the other parts from featherlite and brock.

> These are small manufacturers making small batches for us and as such items are not normally or always in stock, that is just the way it is, don't complain, just order early

brought to mind a question that has been bugging me.

There seems to be an underlying assumption that a builder is going to buy a lot of premade items that are actually easy to build in a high-end home shop (I have a 12x36 lathe and a 32" bench mill). In many cases, I see

templates that have no marked dimensions, such as center-to-center spacing for holes.

What especially surprised me was that there were no instructions for building the main gear. What is it about that part that is so difficult, that it *has* to be purchased?

I'll admit it - I'm building my COZY on a shoestring, and in the balance between time and money, there is almost always less available money than time.

Does anyone know where there are spec's for the main gear?

Dale R.

COZY MkIV-R #1254

The issue with the gear struts is that they utilize a different type of glass. In order to fully realize the strength of this different glass, a quality of layup is required that is not easily accomplished by the normal builder. I also believe these parts are autoclaved to prevent material creep while sitting on a hot ramp.

I do wish there was an alternate gear design that I could build myself with spar cap tape and cloth. Even if it resulted in a little less than optimal gear (weight or aerodynamically wise).

I've also noticed the lack of some critical dimensions needed to create some of the metal parts. I'm not sure if I've overlooked the dimensions on a related drawing, or if they simply aren't in the plans - so I've withheld comment thusfar. Most builders just get their parts from brock, so it isn't an issue. Like you, though, I'd like to build whatever I can myself.

Perhaps one of the crew working with Dust in MI (Clifford?) can comment here. I believe they are making their own metal parts.

Cheers

I've made all the metal parts for our planes EXCEPT for one,,,, the elevator offsets for the canard. They are expensive but are priced accordingly for their complexity. A lathe, mill, tig welder, and your all set. The measurements are all there for the metal parts,,,you just have to look for them.

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656