Cozy Doors, Velocity styled?

Joe Patterson

Howdy-

I'm new to the forum and have been reading the archives just trying to learn a little about homebuilding.

I really like the looks of the doored cockpit of the Velo, but am really more interested in building from scratch rather than a kit. I was intrigued by this particular thread but noticed it seemed to piter out over a year ago. Has there been any more discussion on this topic that I just haven't stumbled across or have people just decided the plans are the best way to go?

Cheers

Chris

Chris, the only modification I know of in this area is the Opus-3, which you can see here: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=218

The builder lowered the top longerons, which may or may not be worthwhile. It's apparently safe for him, but YMMV. I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, but have sinced realized that there's extra time required to make this happen. You have to balance those 'neat' ideas with your ultimate goal, and just prioritize.

Sorry to disappoint, but you can check back w/me as I get nearer to that section in the future.

Also, the reference to www.openaero.org above is no longer in context. They either changed their mission, or there's another company behind the domain name.

Welcome to the forum!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Instead of gull wing, could a gull wing type opening with a two piece door (top and bottom half) work and allow for reinforcement where the two halves meet to retain the torsional stiffness in the frame?

I think the connection points around the door opneing would need to be heavily reinforced to support a tensioned load from the locking mechanism. Pardon my extremely crude drawing, but overlapping the door half and using a tension type locking mechnism similar to how a five-point restraining lock (hook and loop) could allow you to pull tension against the fuselage across a wider area still in line with the leading edge of the wing, and allow for a wider load bearing area within the door structure itself. I'm not sure about the weight considerations, but a pretty simple single lever locking mechanism could deploy the locks between the top and bottom halves as well as deploy the links to the fuselage connect points.

post-1166-141090153602_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Chris, the only modification I know of in this area is the Opus-3, which you can see here: http://www.canardzone.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=218

The builder lowered the top longerons, which may or may not be worthwhile. It's apparently safe for him, but YMMV. I was thinking of doing the same exact thing, but have sinced realized that there's extra time required to make this happen. You have to balance those 'neat' ideas with your ultimate goal, and just prioritize.

Wow that looks good and would probably be esier to get in and out of, but there goes the CozyGirrl Strakes - damn!

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

Does any one have any more info on the Opus-3 mods?

Not really. I have heard some second-hand information, but the builder lives in Europe (Denmark?) and doesn't appear to be on any of the online groups.

Wasn't Opus-3 an original canard, so it is not really a Cozy-mod(?) and differences in it are not directly applicable to Cozy.

I am rather certain that the Opus-3 is a modified Cozy III (original Cozy, possibly a Cosy Classic) with the only main difference being the canopy and chopped longerons.

FWIW, by default I do NOT plan on any mod like this, but every time I see this plane I become tempted... <sigh>

I am rather certain that the Opus-3 is a modified Cozy III (original Cozy, possibly a Cosy Classic) with the only main difference being the canopy and chopped longerons.

According to Kai Christensen, the owner/builder, it is NOT based on a COZY, but a L.E. derivative.

I really like the way the canopy sets on the fuselage. Instead of looking like the canopy is too small for the airframe it looks like a totally integrated fuse. I also like the rear window instead of our small porthole.

It would appear from the picture that there is some internal bracing from the seatback forward. Perhaps the rear longerons are in their original position and the front is lowered (with support of the extra bracing). Any ideas?

Bob

Bob Hassel

Cozy Plans #749

Santa Fe, NM

http://www.cozyworld.net

http://www.hassel-usa.com

According to Kai Christensen, the owner/builder, it is NOT based on a COZY, but a L.E. derivative.

I'll buy that. I do know that the plane has a center-stick and some other things that take the Long-EZ one step further, at least.

Regardless, I wonder how it flies compared to a Cozy III, because that is what it most closely resembles.

It would appear from the picture that there is some internal bracing from the seatback forward. Perhaps the longerons are in their original position and the front is lowered (with support of the extra bracing). Any ideas?

From what I can tell, it looks like the longerons are in original positions aft of the seatback, but then dropped forward from the seatback to the bulkhead just in front of the instrument panel.

We could setup a community design project, similar to the premise at www.openaero.org where the vision is for a group to design entire planes. The same concepts apply for aggressive modifications such as the door we're talking about here.

Once all is done, we could sell the plans to other builders to recoup our upfront costs. The way I see a prototype coming together is:

• Get an engineer involved and establish the design
  • Retrofit the design into a project that has ONLY finished the main fuselage (Chapter 7)
  • Document plan changes, put on shelf
  • Complete build of aircraft
  • Prove air worthiness
  • Offer plans to others
A retrofit into an existing fuselage strikes me as the best option, potentially becoming the standard for how such a modification would be performed. There are many structural options, and to name a few:

• Overhead support structure
  • Velocity-like center spar
  • Internal support structure (similar to #1, but built into the fuselage front itself)
  • Localized structural reinforcement
Design criteria to consider:

• Must work with absolutely minimal risk
  • Must be minimalistic in design -- we're not designing an entire Velocity
  • Must be reproduceable for other Cozy builders
This would be a big project to consider, but one that I am very interested in.

Sounds cool. Actually something I have planned.

Lets setup openaero.org and put wiki engine and mailing list running on

there. If you want server space, we can offer that for free from our

server (www.katix.org). We can also offer free name service without backup name service (we don't have ns2 running since it would increase the electricity bill too much for no real redundancy).

The downside with our server is that it can be down now and then couple of hours, no backups are done usually and nothing is really guaranteed with it. Good thing is that it is free for projects like this and all you need to do is to say yes. Some other server would propably be better, but I can offer this if something else is not available.

The plans could be licensed under Creative Commons license, it would define rules how to use the design and guarantee that nobody could sue about any ownership stuff ever (avoid things like Cozy vs Aerocad debate some time ago) and it could be also defined with that that the implementations based on these plans come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND :).

Lets setup openaero.org...

That's already someone else's domain. How about openez.org?

...and put wiki engine and mailing list running on

there.

Wiki would be cool, but why a mailing list versus forum software?

Some other server would propably be better, but I can offer this if something else is not available.

Thanks for the generous offer. The Canard Zone hardware is more than sufficient, which will be upgraded in the future as well. If you want to help out with it (setup a Wiki, extend vBulletin, etc.), write me at jonmatcho@gmail.com to discuss.

The plans could be licensed under Creative Commons license, it would define rules how to use the design and guarantee that nobody could sue about any ownership stuff ever (avoid things like Cozy vs Aerocad debate some time ago) and it could be also defined with that that the implementations based on these plans come with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY OF ANY KIND :).

The Open-EZ should be done this way too, and is what I consider the blanket for all sorts of canard-related open source modifications. I haven't decided on the license yet, but will take a look at the Creative Commons license. Why do you suggest this license over the others?