Multiple Builds on Single Set of Plans?

mlefebvre

I have been contemplating building a cozy (obviously) and thought I would like to build two concurrently using the same set of plans. Is that an ethical dilemma? Or can you legally build as many as you like from your set of plans? Not that I am opposed to sending a $500 donation for each plane to Nat for ALL his hard work on the Cozy. :)

Marc

Tis far easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Originally posted by mlefebvre

I have been contemplating building a cozy (obviously) and thought I would like to build two concurrently using the same set of plans. Is that an ethical dilemma? Or can you legally build as many as you like from your set of plans?

The license agreement you sign when you purchase the plans explicitly states you are allowed to build "one, and one only" aircraft from these plans.

So, the short answer to both questions is "no" - it's neither an ethical dilemma nor legal.

Its not a donation of $500 to Nat for the plans. He has put A LOT of work, time, money, support, and personal risk in developing the Cozy and making the plans available to builders. He's earned that $500 and then some. That $500 was the BEST bargain I have ever got in my 48 years of life!!

Dave Clifford

"The Metal Man" Musketeer

Vise grip hands and Micrometer eyes!!

Cozy MKIV Plans #656

Now we've established that a second set of plans is required to build two planes, I'd like to point out that this is a VERY good idea. Making jigs takes up quite a bit of time, as does figuring out how to do something. Use the jigs twice, and make only go through the learning curve once for two parts, and you'll save a LOT of time. I'd guess that two planes could be built in 1.5 times the time it takes for one.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net

bout time for me to chime in now, I am building two planes from one set of plans, course i have the other set in my garage, he he he

It's faster and more fun to build in a group. You can't believe how many mistakes we didn't make because another set of eyes read the plans and between the three of us we can always scrape together a complete working brain.

Of course we have made a coupla mistakes because we are building two, you know, did this before so why would you have to read the plans again!

sometimes plane number one comes out better, sometimes plane # two comes out better, never know.

One thing we have insisted on, until the engine, there is no knowing who's plane is whos. We are leaving that decision till a difference HAS to be made, so you better make every part perfect, or as good as you can, it might be yours!!!

Enjoy the build

Mike

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I guess I should clarify a little. I dont truly consider the $500 a "donation", it was my attempt at humour which doesnt come through well over the internet I suppose. (Hence the smiley :) in my post) I no doubt respect and admire ALL that has been accomplished with the Cozy. Between Nat and Rutan, its a great platform.

In a way the $500 is a CHEAP price to pay for each plane you build, and as someone else said here, once you build one, the second, third, and subsequent builds will go much quicker. Reusing jigs, and the honed techniques could go a long way.

I guess to speak more about what I am thinking, I brought the idea of two planes from one set of plans cause I would like to build one to spec, and build a second one to "experiment" with differing techniques, configurations, features, materials, etc... Any good engineer likes a benchmark trial horse, the spec bird would be that, and the second would be a platform to start with and go beyond.

Btw, any fellow Cozy *builders* out here in Hawaii? Any Cozy flyers out here other than the one who is grounded in the Hospital? (Hope he is doing well. Havent heard much in the paper in a while, although part of his plane was discovered by my friend Jace who was out fishing.)

Mahalo,

Marc

Tis far easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I would like to build one to spec, and build a second one to "experiment" with differing techniques, configurations, features, materials, etc...

In that case, it would be MUCH better to build them one at a time. Finish the first one and fly it. Only then can the modifications be put into perspective.

I can be reached on the "other" forum http://canardaviationforum.dmt.net