propellor for my engine

Well, even though i don't need one that soon, as we only make progress one day a week (largeprime) we will be a needin one soon. Learned two things today

1 the govenor on the engine i am buying is the wrong one, it is for a feathering prop and the preasur does the oposite than for a non feathering prop. I could buy a feathering prop, but that is even more money.

Finding a prop is going to be a challenge. mccauley and the other big propellor don't have one that will work, too big for the 68 or so inch size i need

A three bladed prop will be very hard to find and that is what i have my heart set on.

Fortunatly, my buddy has a friend that is a top engineer at one of the major prop mfg's and with his private number in hand , i will find out in the morning if he has any suggestions.

I also called whirlwind and am waiting for a callback.

any suggeestions

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

http://www.canardcommunity.com/

I think it may be too big and two bladed props vibrate more (because both of them go through the "dead area" behind the wings at the same time) and is it feathering or not feathering?

maker wood dust and shavings - foam and fiberglass dust and one day a cozy will pop out, enjoying the build

i can be reached at

How big is the 337 prop, if too big can you cut it down, a feathering prop is oposite a cs prop on the oil preasure in the govenor, a diferent govenor is needed, not a big deal, just needed.

Why are metal props not recommended?

i can be reached at

Never cut a metal prop.

This is the story as i was told. take it for what it's worth, or go to Pontiac and confirm it.

Back in the 60's the thorp t-18 used a cut down metal grummin prop. One guy died when the prop departed. after a second death the same way they recommended running a saftey wire through the engine mounts to the airframe cause the motor would depart the aircraft. A pilot in Michigan was flying when he noticed a problem. backed off the throttle and and landed. inspected the prop and a 4 inch piece fell off in his hand.

He calls, i believe, Sensenich, because they said it was fine. They tested the prop and immediatly grounded the plane. The prop, as tested, now hangs in Pontiac, in the clubhouse I am told.

As well these were standard props. I would imagine constant props would be even more complicated.

That's how i got the story. "Just cut it down" I said. "Done all the time" I said. I was told every metal prop has a "yello band" of RPM that you can't run the prop in. I would imagine thier is still a yello band if you cut it. Just now you dont know where it is.

The prop is supposedly hangin in Pontiac. I guess one could go ask.

Cat's Meow is running a MT prop from Germany,500 hours so far on it, owner seemed satisfied. Had one problem at first, the blades had to be shipped back to Germany to get the problem fixed. MT now has a facility in florida that can service though.

I have no idea as to the cost. It looked like it had been cut down (square ended blades)

woo hoo, 3 plade mt prop to 260 hp with up to 9.2 inch extension!!!!!!!!!!!

composite $9000, 10 or so week delivery time, so i have a prop available that costs more than the engine, now i'm working on getting the govenor swaped out for a non feathering model.

woo hoo

woo hoo

i can be reached at