Should I buy this used cozy and refurbish it?

Hello,

I recently looked at a used cozy and I'm considering purchasing it and working on it myself (with help from an A&P) and getting it flying. https://www.barnstormers.com/classified-1879297-1999-Cozy.html

It received its airworthiness certificate and N-number in 1999, and last flew in 2008.  The airframe has ~330 hours on it.  It has been hangered disassembled (wings off) since then. Has an O-320-E2D 150hp engine, TTSN 4160, SMOH 1900. The composite build looks great, very smooth and streamlined. Asking price is $27,000, however, the seller is willing to go lower. The VFR only instruments are dated, but probably work. Only issue I've noticed so far is that the electric nose gear is not extending, even though the motor runs.  

Is this a good price?

Plan is to find someone near Denver do an inspection before purchase.  This would be my first airplane. I'd really like a 4- instead of a 3-seater, but it could be fun to fix it up and do some time building on it. An airplane broker is selling it and the build log is absent (original builder is not with us anymore). Also I'm 165lbs so no issues for me fitting inside.

Also it has a user manual/generic POH from 1986 that says "cozy" and not "cozy III".  What's the difference between cozy and cozy III and is there a way to tell which one it is?

Thanks

Jack

We discussed this Cozy III a few days ago.  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/64692-assistance-with-purchase-of-my-first-canard-cozy-mkiv-near-denver/#comment-120523

The engine is high time but I have overhauled a couple myself, sending parts out to the overhaulers and reassembling it with the help of an A&P the first time and on my own the second time (the A&P was not very careful).  I don't know much about the Aeromomentums except they will involve a radiator and new engine mount, probably new cowls so I doubt it will save you much $$ or work.  Build log is not needed since it was once licensed.  The POH is OK--Nat's first iteration was called "Cozy", later "Cozy Mk IV".

If you accept the round-dial instruments, I'd say the engine will be the most work to get it going.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Thanks for the reply!

What do you think about the price? Is is fair, a deal, or too high?

I just messaged Russel from that thread you shared.  Awaiting his reply to compare notes . He's first in line to buy, but hoping to use his contacts to inspect the aircraft if he doesn't go forward and I decide to.

45 minutes ago, jackalak said:

What do you think about the price? Is is fair, a deal, or too high?

The barnstormers ad says that the logbooks have been found. Don't know if they mean build logs or aircraft/engine logs.

An engine that has sat for 16 years, if not pickled (and probably even if pickled) WILL need a full overhaul. It might run for a short time before the MOH, but it'll still need one for all the soft components that age even when not used.

Without seeing the plane in person, it is completely impossible to judge whether the price is right, low, or high. It could be a steal, or it could be too expensive if they gave it to you. You need a canard knowledgeable examiner for the PB - one who's seen a LOT of canards, not just the one they built or own. In the other thread, I recommended FFC - I'd talk to them first. A guy who works on jets (not even piston planes), however nice of a guy and amenable to inspecting an E-AB canard piston pusher, isn't going to have a clue what he's looking at.

3 hours ago, jackalak said:

Just aircraft/engine logs

You only need builder logs (or pics, or notes) when the aircraft is first inspected by the FAA for an Airworthiness Certificate.  You would not need them after that and often, they don't tell you anything substantive.  In fact, you don't need aircraft or engine log books either.  All you'd need is Bill of Sale, renew the A.C. and get a condition inspection from an A&P or the builder with a repairman's certificate.  Also, other little checks of the transponder and ELT.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

1 hour ago, Kent Ashton said:

...you don't need aircraft or engine log books either.  All you'd need is Bill of Sale, renew the A.C. and get a condition inspection from an A&P or the builder with a repairman's certificate.

Well, sure - you don't NEED the aircraft/engine logs, but they're extremely useful in telling you about the care that the builder/owner may or may not have taken with the plane, and what's happened to it. Legally, they're meaningless after 1 year, but no logs is a yellow flag, if not a red one. The AC on this plane is valid - only the registration would have to be changed to the name of the new owner.