wheel pant attachment plans

A Bruce Hughes

We flew the Longeze for 45 hours, then started improving it;  the biggest improvement would be wheel pants but I don't like the only plans that I have been able to find; I think the metal sheet for parts is much too heavy and I am not good at cutting heavy steel.   But I do want the attachment to be strong enough.   I already have the actual round covers for the wheels and the attachment part to hold it to the wheel axle;         I just need parts to hold the pants to the gear legs.     Does anyone sell parts ?   Please help.

Google Images for Wheel Pants Attach or variations on that.  You will see many pics.  There are a dozen ways to do it but you have to decide what works best for you.

I use a wheel nut from Vans and a lengthwise bent strip of 4130 on the inside that accepts two bolts through the two halves of the pant.  I put patches of kevlar where the bolts go through.  My pants separate front and back.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Thank you VERY much for that mail, Kent.    I also have wheel pants that are an inside and an outside.

I just have never had the time to work with them.    I already have the pair of nuts that go into the axles;

got those from Van's 2 or 3 years ago.   I have a friend with a good machine shop and have some very heavy 4130.

It seems too heavy so I may have to order a lighter piece.  I know where to get any thickness and will measure my piece today.

Just need correct plans and time.

1 hour ago, A Bruce Hughes said:

I have a friend with a good machine shop and have some very heavy 4130.  It seems too heavy so I may have to order a lighter piece.

.050" 4130 works pretty well.  Make a pattern for the piece from posterboard or flashing.  Drill the wheel pant holes to match the 4130 piece.  A strong light on the inside of the pant will show where to drill.  I have also seen a small laser sitting on a sandbag off to the side that points to the 4130 hole, then position the wheel pant and drill at the laser spot.  Pants are very fiddly to install.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Hi Kent

Thank you very much.    I can get the right thickness 4130.

But why not use aluminum ?    I think that would be lighter.   Is there some real advantage to 4130 ?

I also have a sheet of an alloy of Titanium but no idea of the, type of alloy, the strength (it is thin), and no tools to work Ti.

I kinda need a plan but I guess that is obvious.