EZ-Poxy 87 Hardener

willflyformoney

20 minutes ago, willflyformoney said:

I was going to make an epoxy order from Spruce and they no longer carry the 87 hardener, when I called they said they no longer manufacture it. Does anyone know where I could get some 87? If not, what are the alternatives? I've been working with 87 and would rather not use 83 with half the setting time.

It looks like a hard to find epoxy system. Here's the manufacturer site if you want to track an answer down from there: https://www.epoxi.com/other-brands 

I dislike working with fast hardeners as well. I would seek MGS 287 or Pro-Set as I regard them as the best available (IMO, FWIW). Expensive, but when you look at how much you'll be spending overall epoxy is not a big cost. Beyond that someone may speak up about Aeropoxy. I have some of that as well, just because, but don't use it.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Thanks for that... we won't be seeing much E-Z Poxy being used much in that case.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Aircraft Spruce (and I assume many others) often need to add a "hazmat" charge. For example, note this for the 287 Slow hardener from ACS (which does not apply to the 335 system's slow hardener: Important Shipping Information- H287S Hardener can be shipped UPS ground only. A $25 hazardous fee, and a $45 box fee applies (per quart). Can also be shipped truck collect.

Because of that I am moving to Pro-Set. I also just found that the slow hardener for the Pro-Set 125/229 system is more tolerant to slight mixing variations than their fast hardener. I suspect that's true for other epoxy systems as well, but is another reason to like slow hardeners. However, a case for slow hardeners is that I have seen the Tg temperatures being better with slow hardeners than fast for room temperature cures (maybe 10 degrees F). As long as your plane is painted white you'll be fine in all cases.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

On 10/13/2021 at 12:25 PM, willflyformoney said:

Okay, FYI I just got off the phone with Endurance technologies who makes EZ-poxy, they have permanently discontinued EZ-87 hardener and only make EZ-83 now, hope that helps. Thanks Jon for the information.

That sucks! My can is running low and I was going to order more EZ-87 soon.