Open EZ rear main landing gear problem

zqy333

No, the Long/Open-EZ landing gear cannot be made with foam (it’s entirely fiberglass). The construction method is complex and is not described in the plans, and needs to be purchased from a vendor (along with the nose gear strut): https://aerocomposites.aero/the-hanger-price-lists/#Long_EZ

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

7 minutes ago, Jon Matcho said:

needs to be purchased from a vendor

I recall the Aerocomposites guys saying that the S-glass used in the strut is somewhat controlled due to military applications.  I can't confirm that's true but I don't see any S-glass strand in the Spruce catalog.  I'm guess it'd be easier to get a part-time job bagging groceries and earn the money to buy the strut from Aerocomposites.  🙂

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

6 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

I recall the Aerocomposites guys saying that the S-glass used in the strut is somewhat controlled due to military applications.

That sounds like a bit of salesmanship. Maybe it’s in high demand. It’s also used for windmill blades. It can be found to purchase, but that’s beside the point for me. A builder would be on their own to come up with something that works here.

9 minutes ago, Kent Ashton said:

it'd be easier to get a part-time job bagging groceries and earn the money to buy the strut from Aerocomposites.  🙂

Ha, definitely!

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

• 2 months later...

It is just my guesswork, but I think there is no rocket science in the landing gear bow. I think it is made mainly of unidirectional glass. This is probably laid into a mould between two bobbins, one at each wheel end, The mould has to be open on the top side to do this, and excess material would need to be taken off after curing. Then the builder covers the whole thing in a number of layers of biaxial glass at +45/-45 degrees. This ties the UD together, so that it cannot 'burst' when strained. If I was building an Open EZ, instead of a Midget Mustang, I think I would try this method and test it.

The guys who make the struts say it is S-glass and somewhat difficult to buy due to restrictions on sales based on military use.  I googled S-glass roving and did not immediately see any S-glass roving for sale although I found manufacturers for it.  Some things are just not worth the time and effort to make.  With Aerocomposites you know you are getting a reliable product.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold