Engine Mount for Cozy III

Mendrop

I am at the point where I must make a decision on an engine for my Cozy III.  Marc Zeitlin filled me in on Lycoming engine mounts for the 320/360 which is where I am heading.  I have some questions that hopefully this forum can help me with.  

1.  New or used.   I understand the broad range of price issue but would like to hear thoughts on putting an expensive new engine on an untested homebuilt airplane.

2.  If buying used, where would one look to purchase a mid-time engine?

3.  Has anyone had experience with Western Skyways in Montrose, CO?

4.  Is CG Products the right place to purchase the Lycoming 320/360 dynafocal engine mount or are there other recommendations?

5.  I do not see anything like the throttle quadrant called for in Puffer’s plan at Aircraft Spruce.  Any recommendations?

Chris

New or used: I bought a zero time OH'd O-360 some years ago from https://www.aerosportpower.com/ with new cylinders, crank and cam and other new parts.  It was about $18K when new Lycomings were going for $23K so that's one way to do it.  Search the vansairforce.com forum for more up-to-date advice on overhaulers.   The next way is to buy an engine from one of the salvage businesses--Wentworth is one.  They are usually pretty straight about what their selling.  Next, I have overhauled a high-time O-320 myself, and done top OHs on my O-360.  The manuals and videos are available online.  After I saw an engine put together by a mechanic, I said "why am I paying for this?"   🙂   If you are somewhat handy, that's an option.  Generally, you send the parts to a shop like Aircraft Specialties who will inspect , refurb, and yellow-tag them, you might buy new cylinders and put it back together.  Sounds scary but they are really simple engines.  I often recommend this site:

http://www.meyette.us/SuperiorTextPics.htm

Mid-time engines:  The salvage people are probably your best option.  I would not buy a high-time engine old engine or an engine that has been sitting for years without evaluating it myself.  I would look for a flight-school engine or one that has flown frequently and just ran out of time.  Once, I bought and O-320-H2AD from a storm-damaged airplane.  The seller had it inspected by an AI.  I got a decent price and it was a trouble-free engine but I would not recommend that model engine.  However, this is typical of what you can find.

Yes, the Cozygirrls are usually the go-to folks for engine mounts.  A decent welder could make one but it's a hassle.  Might as well spend the $$.  Make sure you don't buy a Dynafocal II engine unless you really want one.  Most are Dynafocal I or conical-mount engines.

You can buy prefab throttles or make your own.  Not hard to do. Here are some ideas    https://www.google.com/search?q=cozy+throttles&client=safari&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj1vaWaxsTuAhWkElkFHXxlBVEQ_AUoAnoECAYQBA&biw=1212&bih=692&dpr=1.2

Edited by Kent Ashton

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

Thank you Kent.  You have given me a lot of homework.  The last and only engine I rebuilt was a Dodge 383 back in the 80s.  But, that went well and I can see advantages of doing so for my Cozy.  But....I'm feeling my age and time is flying by and I'm not.