What to lookout for in a Rutan Verieze

Hi Tristan,

I bought a VariEze in December and have been reworking it over the spring & summer.  You should get some good feedback on here with this question.  I can give you the key items I was told to check in terms of the airframe:

1.  Wing attach fitting corrosion.
2.  Main gear leg stiffness (have to lift both wheels off the ground to check this).
3.  Weight.

From there the rest is similar to any plane (engine, panel, control cables/rods), etc.

There is A LOT of information in this forum under the VariEze section:  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/forum/305-varieze/

It's suggested to download and read through all CP's (canard pushers) in regards to the VariEze.  I spent a considerable amount of time researching before I visited a few VariEze's for sale.  I believe I found a very good build (also completed in 1980) with 570 hours.  The previous owner had kept ALL documentation, receipts, pictures, and notes of his project.  

Good luck in your search!

Brian

Here is good guide for non-builders (below).  2006 vintage but still pretty good.  There is a lot to know about the Rutan airplanes.  Best not to find out the hard way.  Fortunately, there is a lot of information out there.  Two words:  Pre-buy inspection!   🙂

LEZnon_builders.doc

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold