New Canard Designs?

RSD

Someone (possibly Marc) mentioned somewhere recently that there were several new canard aircraft designs that people are working towards making commercially available.

I know of the single seater that Revel Aero are working on, but what else is (possibly) coming?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2019 at 1:49 AM, RSD said:

Someone (possibly Marc) mentioned somewhere recently that there were several new canard aircraft designs that people are working towards making commercially available.

I doubt it was Marc because counting "several" would be a stretch.  I've noticed a French project that appeared to be heading in a commercial direction, or was it from England?  Maybe it was a fantasy.  Beyond that, there's really nothing with any notable money behind it to make it work. 

On 8/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, Barry said:

Raptor

http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/contact.html

Update, airworthiness certificate was approved Tuesday.

Raptor misdirected their investment IMO.  That engine is a one-off experiment and I expect parts to be failing left and right from here on out.  That airframe should have been built around a proven engine, and only changed once flight characteristics were proven and tested.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hi Jon,

I think you're right with respect to the Raptor. An aircraft engine should have been used initially. OTOH, I do like the diesel, but not a high RPM diesel requiring reduction. Developing it on a new airframe is crazy.

I was just responding to the question, was one that I remembered. The whole deal is pretty neat, but I'm not expecting it to be a success. You guys all know the score better than I do.

Barry

It's always neat to see a new canard effort, or any experimental kit or plans effort for that matter.  The Raptor tried to ride social media and did get many non-aviators (or soon-to-be aviators) enthused. 

Icon Aircraft did that with success, but they were smart enough not to think that they were an engine company too, and among other things.

"Oh well" is all that comes to mind these days when I look at it.  I sincerely hope that no harm comes to any test pilot that may be brave enough to run that thing up and go for it.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV