Considering Long...

One of my bucket list items has long been to build and fly my own airplane. To that end I have made a few significant life course adjustments from time to time to make it possible. There are still some scattered clouds but things are opening up.

Part of this is deciding what plane? The Long is one of my short list interests. I'm not exactly always conventional and like a good sports car and the Long tickles both of those. I have worked with foam and fiberglass and know that part is entirely doable.

But then there is the build vs buy. I find myself considering a particular Long (8HA) that is relatively "in the area" (Northern Ca) and could use some education. Anybody near Grass Valley/Auburn/Folsom/Sacramento area who might be interested in sharing some advice/experience?

Thanks in advance.

I have seen the ad on that one (N8HA) but never see any pics or info.  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/21972-sales-ive-seen/?do=findComment&comment=62563  I suppose his price for an '86 O-235 airplane ($32K) could be reasonable but she (his wife apparently) has been trying to sell it since October.  I just shake my head when the the seller doesn't post any pics.

Here is a post on how to find other canard owners that might know about the airplane or would look at if for you   https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/33309-varieze-builderpilot-wanted/?do=findComment&comment=63092

Lots of canard flyers in the S. Cal. area and they meet regularly at Chino for breakfast.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

But then there is the build vs buy. I find myself considering a particular Long (8HA) that is relatively "in the area" (Northern Ca) and could use some education.

Bill has been trying to get the plane down to me for a Condition Inspection for months now, but between his schedule and the weather, we haven't been able to arrange it. It's still in the plan, though, as the weather improves in the spring. If you're truly interested in the plane, you can work with Bill to be here when the CI is done, so you can learn about the plane (and Long-EZ's in general).

At this point, you can buy a flying Long-EZ for about 1/2 of what it would cost you to build one. It won't be as nice or exactly what you want, but it'll be flying 3 - 7 years earlier. All depends on what's important to you, what you want, and what your mission is. And you can upgrade/modify it to BE what you want over time, while it's flying.

Good info.

Bill did post some pictures on a FB page but has not offered many details. Not sure how serious he is about selling it? Typical airplane pictures: looks good on outside in pictures (they have to be pretty bad before the pictures show it). Looks like the interior and avionics are a bit dated.

Yes the weather on the West Coast has been a bit off this winter. Shadowing a CI would be great. Maybe I could talk Bill into stopping in at O9CL on the way through...

Understood about time and money to build vs buying and flying. That is certainly a factor in considering this plane.