ULPower engine in a Long-EZ

Jon Matcho

The creation of this sub-forum (and topic) was prompted by a prior topic in the "general/other engine" sub-forum.

Mentioned was Nate Mullins who is building a very nice Long-EZ and fitting it with a ULPower Aero engine.

Nate is a member here so hopefully he can give some additional feedback on this interesting engine. In the meantime here is a link to Nate's website.

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Hey all. Thought I'd throw in my thoughts since I'll be flying my UL power Ez in a couple weeks :)

Installation is true plug n play. The engine is a work of art. Runs like a Swiss watch and power is awesome. 220 lbs and 160hp

Both Gary Hertzler and Craig Catto are making props for these powerhouses.

The engine is so smooth it's almost creepy. Like an electric motor.

Weight and balance will be finished in 10 days and I'll post it all on the build log.

I agree with the statement that an engine out away from home will suck for parts and maintenance but the engine is a very simple design and the parts will soon be sold by wicks.
Furthermore, the engines have been flying for several years and beat to death by aerobatic aircraft in Europe and they keep on ticking.
I'm impressed enough at this point that I will probably never fly a different piston engine again.

If anyone wants to chat feel free to get ahold of me through my build log: www.mykitlog.com/jenatepilot

And for a video check this out:

http://youtu.be/rWnkyRqR1hU

Edited by Jon Matcho
grammatical edit per request
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Alright all, here's the performance data so far. Only 8 hrs on the bird and still tweaking to do that should get her even faster:

UL Power 390is, 160hp. 220lbs installed

leaves the ground in 1000ft

climbs out at 1900ft/ min solo

WOT (3000rpm) at 3000ft is 182kts TAS.

:)

• Like 3

• 5 years later...
On 2/17/2015 at 8:23 AM, Jenate said:

Alright all, here's the performance data so far. Only 8 hrs on the bird and still tweaking to do that should get her even faster:

UL Power 390is, 160hp. 220lbs installed

leaves the ground in 1000ft

climbs out at 1900ft/ min solo

WOT (3000rpm) at 3000ft is 182kts TAS.

:)

What dose "WOT" mean? What is the cruise speed and how much fuel it consume? 

• 3 years later...

Hi @Jenate, I see you went with a new UL Power 520is installation in the meantime. I am interested in the 390 combo, how would you compare the 2 ? I think I would lean a little more towards the frugal side, so is there a decent saving when sticking to the 390 ? How about W&B and related mods is there are savings in simplicity and reduced rework with the 390 ?