Important Update regarding Open-EZ Rev 5 Templates

Jon Matcho

Hey Jon! I have been researching endlessly (it feels like) over the past month and I'm ready to commit to a build. I am looking at the Open-EZ and was wondering what the status on Rev.6 is. I know how much of an undertaking something like this can be so don't take this as pressure. Just curious if we can see the updated revision anytime soon.

Also, I know others have mentioned the same thing, but I'm very much a see it digitally first kind of person (seeing one in VR is a nice bonus since I haven't seen one in person). I've already noted several attempts at creating CAD models from the plans. I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring in that endeavor as well.

Thanks!

-Courtney

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, court said:

Hey Jon! I have been researching endlessly (it feels like) over the past month and I'm ready to commit to a build.

Welcome to the forum! Just 1 month of endless research?! Just kidding, but anticipate many more.

29 minutes ago, court said:

I am looking at the Open-EZ and was wondering what the status on Rev.6 is.

I recently purchased a high-end scanner to redo all of the prior scans, corrected, and final in their same handwritten format. I've put a few sheets through it and am considering scanning the entire Long-EZ instructions as well. It's a lot of tedious work at times, but I am working towards a fall deadline.

35 minutes ago, court said:

Also, I know others have mentioned the same thing, but I'm very much a see it digitally first kind of person (seeing one in VR is a nice bonus since I haven't seen one in person). I've already noted several attempts at creating CAD models from the plans.

I'm in the same boat, and CAD will come eventually. The problem is that most CAD interpretations include modifications  that have not been flight tested. I am looking for CAD drawings that are faithful to the original Long-EZ plans, Canard Pusher newsletter corrections, and "approved" modifications. In other words, CAD files should not be made public with new modifications (however slight) that would otherwise change aerodynamic characteristics until proven in flight testing.

That's not to take anything away from the amazing work done by thoroughly skilled individuals that you can find on this forum, it just needs to be done with an open source approach.

1 hour ago, court said:

I guess I'll throw my hat in the ring in that endeavor as well.

Sure, what do you have in mind?

Jon Matcho :busy:
Builder & Canard Zone Admin
Now:  Rebuilding Quickie Tri-Q200 N479E
Next:  Resume building a Cozy Mark IV

Being a software guy, I'm a big fan of version control. Having the original LongEZ modeled, and having each modification be separate "add-ons" is for sure the way to go. That way there is a record of the knowledge that has been put into the design.

I think that's a big effort, but I could definitely contribute to that cause. Strictly model everything to the original plan, and then have each successive upgrade to be modeled after. I have some thoughts and ideas I'll respond with a little later.

• Like 1