Forward Hatch Hinge - Retrofit

TMann

Well I got a little anxious and floxed on the nose piece prior to installing the hinge points for the Berkut style hinges on the forward most hatch.

I'm posting this solution because it will work real well for anyone who is considering a retrofit.

After I mounted the hinges to the hatch cover, I checked for fit. Looks good.

I made the pivot point out of a scrap of leftover spruce and put a stud (click bond) on each end. After checking the fit again, I mixed up some bondo and put two dabs on the face of the spruce where it will be floxed to the inside skin. I worked it in as close as possible to the final mounting point, closed the hatch and adjusted for final alignment.

After about 30 minutes, I checked the operation of the hatch. Everything looked good so I drilled two pilot holes from the outside skin, all the way through the spruce and popped the spruce piece out. I cleaned up all of the residual bondo (this is a lot easier to do before it completely cures.)

The only thing left now is to add a couple plies of BID over the click bonds and flox it in place using either screws from the outside to hold it in place or a couple finish nails and a clamp.

Pretty creative I thought .......... but not as smart as installing BEFORE I attached the nose.:rolleyes:

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Well I got a little anxious and floxed on the nose piece prior to installing the hinge points for the Berkut style hinges on the forward most hatch....

I know that a lot of folks like the cool looks of a hinged nose door (and they do look cool), but I gotta tell ya - being able to take the door OFF and not have anything in the way when trying to work in the nose compartment is WAY easier than working around a door/hinges. It's enough of a PITA working in there, whether a LE or a COZY, without having a door in the way or poking you in the ribs (or your ribs breaking the door).

My $0.02.

I gotta tell ya - being able to take the door OFF and not have anything in the way when trying to work in the nose compartment is WAY easier than working around a door/hinges.

Hey ....... don't think for a minute I wasn't saying the same thing last night (along with a lot of other colorful phrases.)

As a matter of fact, when I was working with this last night, I was thinking that there would be no need to put locknuts on the studs if I planned properly. A couple of properly shaped/spaced locater pins would make it impossible to open should the hinge fail to remain captured by the pins. The hinge arms are long enough and have enough spring that I can spread them enough to get the studs located in the holes. Reverse the process and you can remove the door when required.

Would love to see a picture!

Willco

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

I am installing quick disconnect pins in my nose hinge. Like the ones I use on my sail boat. You have to push a button and pull the pin out. They are kind of spendy but I think Marc is right about getting the door out of the way. I had a large nose door on my Longeze and it was screwed on. It took 12 screws so it was a pain to remove but when it was open it was out of the way and lots of room to work on master cylinders and other stuff in the nose. STeve build on

Steve Harmon

Lovin Life in Idaho

Cozy IV Plans #1466 N232CZ

http://websites.expercraft.com/bigsteve/

Working on Chapter 19,21

I had a large nose door on my Longeze and it was screwed on. It took 12 screws so it was a pain to remove but when it was open it was out of the way and lots of room to work on master cylinders and other stuff in the nose. STeve build on

This door is forward of FS 0.0. I haven't finished the hatch door between the instument panel and FS 0.0

The only thing forward of FS 0 is the battery and the retractable pitot.

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory