TMann Posted June 18, 2009 Share Posted June 18, 2009 Well I got a little anxious and floxed on the nose piece prior to installing the hinge points for the Berkut style hinges on the forward most hatch. I'm posting this solution because it will work real well for anyone who is considering a retrofit. After I mounted the hinges to the hatch cover, I checked for fit. Looks good. I made the pivot point out of a scrap of leftover spruce and put a stud (click bond) on each end. After checking the fit again, I mixed up some bondo and put two dabs on the face of the spruce where it will be floxed to the inside skin. I worked it in as close as possible to the final mounting point, closed the hatch and adjusted for final alignment. After about 30 minutes, I checked the operation of the hatch. Everything looked good so I drilled two pilot holes from the outside skin, all the way through the spruce and popped the spruce piece out. I cleaned up all of the residual bondo (this is a lot easier to do before it completely cures.) The only thing left now is to add a couple plies of BID over the click bonds and flox it in place using either screws from the outside to hold it in place or a couple finish nails and a clamp. Pretty creative I thought .......... but not as smart as installing BEFORE I attached the nose. Quote T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18 Velocity/RG N951TM Mann's Airplane Factory We add rocket's to everything! 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.