Project Garuda CAD Drawings

The basis for the CAD, will be to setup the datums for the waterlines and flight stations

with this done the next logical step is to start work on the firewalls and bulkheads enabling me to construct the fuselage around these points

here is the picture of the firewall, the vertical line is the CL and the horizontal lines are the various waterlines im using as references for engine mount holes ect

Posted Image

Sweet mother of mercy, you're on a roll.

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

in the message box there is a little icon (little square box with what looks like a mountain picture) thats for insert image

i host my images in photobucket and then insert the direct link into the box that comes up when you click insert image

The basis for the CAD, will be to setup the datums for the waterlines and flight stations...

If you're going to create a CAD model of an aircraft, please use a standard aircraft coordinate system so that anyone else using the models will have a consistent coordinate system.

The X-axis goes out the nose, the Y-axis goes out the right wing, and the Z-axis goes down. Standard right hand rule.

Which CAD program are you using?

I am using the Delcam Powershape and Powermill system

If you're going to create a CAD model of an aircraft, please use a standard aircraft coordinate system so that anyone else using the models will have a consistent coordinate system.

The X-axis goes out the nose, the Y-axis goes out the right wing, and the Z-axis goes down. Standard right hand rule.

Dont worry too much i can add in a separate work plane if i release the cad files, you may well see workplanes pointing in funny angles depending on how iv drawn the part and the workplane i have active at the time of the screenshot so i wouldnt read too much into it

Dont worry too much i can add in a separate work plane if i release the cad files, you may well see workplanes pointing in funny angles depending on how iv drawn the part and the workplane i have active at the time of the screenshot so i wouldnt read too much into it

Having supported CAD systems for 20 years and taught classes in their usage, I know what a workplane is. I'm not talking about the workplane coordinate system - I'm talking about the Global Coordinate System. Do you understand the difference?

Having supported CAD systems for 20 years and taught classes in their usage, I know what a workplane is. I'm not talking about the workplane coordinate system - I'm talking about the Global Coordinate System. Do you understand the difference?

of course i understand the difference, and i realize you know what a work plane is, however other people reading this may not quite be so familiar with CAD systems, hence i tried to explain it slightly

anyway all im trying to say is dont read anything into the coordinate or work planes that are shown in the pictures

anyway this is really just splitting hairs as im currently the only person who is working on these cad files so whatever i find easiest to work with is the method ill use

Which CAD program are you using?

Steven

Check this out, here is a long thread about different type of programs which you can use in design process, some examples, links, prices, availability for no commercial and commercial usage, etc.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/design-structures-cutting-edge-technology/5025-what-software-do-you-use.html

Marc is that a common practice for companies such Boeing, Airbus etc , I've never heard about it (but I have much more common with Mechanical rather than Aeronautical Engineering), the only program which I know with similar type of coordinates system is Catia, all others like Solidworks, Inventor, Femap etc use "standard system" of course you can change it.

Seb

Marc is that a common practice for companies such Boeing, Airbus etc

Yes. That GCS is the convention in the business. Using a common GCS with common data (plural of datum) allows primes and subs to share CAD/FEA data and models easily without having to do any spatial transformations.

the only program which I know with similar type of coordinates system is Catia, all others like Solidworks, Inventor, Femap etc use "standard system" of course you can change it.

The GCS is not dependent upon what CAD system is being used (I've used Catia, Pro-E, Solidworks, IDEAS, Onespace, etc.). It's a function of how the person using it sets up the part/assembly models during the modeling process. Since it's just as easy to do it right as to do it wrong, there's no excuse for using something that other folks will have to massage in order to use and share appropriately. Standard (in this case, anyway) is better than better (or just different).

My $0.02.

It's a function of how the person using it sets up the part/assembly models during the modeling process.

I understand what you mean, of course there is a function of sets up during creating parts, making assemblies, etc , I probably use wrong words I meant that usually Y-axis goes up (like in Solidworks pic1 and Femap pic2 for example), and in Catia pic3 for example Z-axis goes up, but of course it doesn't mean anything, it's up to how you are going to set it up.

Thanks

Seb

btw I took that Catia screen from the internet, because there is no demo/student version of Catia so I don't have that program at home.

post-2134-141090168607_thumb.jpg

post-2134-141090168608_thumb.jpg

post-2134-141090168609_thumb.jpg

Steven

Check this out, here is a long thread about different type of programs which you can use in design process, some examples, links, prices, availability for no commercial and commercial usage, etc.

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/design-structures-cutting-edge-technology/5025-what-software-do-you-use.html

Seb

Thanks Mac, a very long thread indeed. I bookmarked a heap of cad sites and will check them out in time. Rhino seems to get a tick.

Now to the topic at hand, looking forward to seeing this project develop or at least get to see the cad drawings.

Steve Taylor

Melbourne, Australia.

Cozy Plans # 1583 (26 June, 2009)

nothing new yet, mostly been reading and studying manuals and plans gotta get things right :)

ultimately the most important thing to get right is to ensure the positioning of the bulkheads are absolutely perfect

if i make a mistake here then all other work based from them will be rendered useless

i have also been a little busy rewiring my autoclave with new fan assisted element and PID temperature controller