Soft bubble area. Delamination?

A friend has a Vari EZ that has a couple of those on the top of the wing near the fuselage. He said it was a paint blister. If it were me, I'd open up that bubble and see what was under it. If it's just a paint bubble - well, you have a really simple repair. But if its a delam, better to fix it now before it gets any bigger, IMHO. Being under the strake, do you think it might be a fuel tank leak?

Phil Kriley

Cozy #1460

Chapter 13 - nose

Right wing done - working on right winglet.

I have a small soft area under the wing along the fusalage on the left side. I guess this is delamination but it is very soft and spongy. How should I go about fixing this and is it a ver yserious concern until it is fixed? Here is a picture I took: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2238/imag0063k.jpg

rog,

need more info.

did it judt come up?

did you just paint?

did you build?

You could do an asperationl biopsy to see what is in the void (stick a large syringe needle into it, pull back on the plunger to see if it is air or liquid.

the fact that it is smooth and rounded indicates to me that the top layer, be it glass or paint is being pushed from below by either gas (air or some contamination causing outgassing) or liquid.

without personally seeing or touching it, my guess would be that the bubble is between the underlying glass and the paint/primer.

If it were mine, I would, using a single edge razor blade (or exacto) cut the top of the bubble off and determine what is happening. if it is just the paint, decontamination and repair should be easy. If not, you will be able to assess what is actually happening and deal with it appropriately

Remember, a patient that accepts a free diagnosis and treatment plan usually overpays:irked:

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

rog,

need more info.

did it judt come up?

I'm not sure but I think so. I don't remember seeing it before.

did you just paint?

did you build?

No I didn't just paint and I didn't build it.

You could do an asperationl biopsy to see what is in the void (stick a large syringe needle into it, pull back on the plunger to see if it is air or liquid.

the fact that it is smooth and rounded indicates to me that the top layer, be it glass or paint is being pushed from below by either gas (air or some contamination causing outgassing) or liquid.

without personally seeing or touching it, my guess would be that the bubble is between the underlying glass and the paint/primer.

If it were mine, I would, using a single edge razor blade (or exacto) cut the top of the bubble off and determine what is happening. if it is just the paint, decontamination and repair should be easy. If not, you will be able to assess what is actually happening and deal with it appropriately

Since it is under the fuel tank my concern is that it might be a fuel leaking into the structure. I hope not but I will try the razor blade and see what's in there.

I have a small soft area under the wing along the fusalage on the left side. I guess this is delamination but it is very soft and spongy. How should I go about fixing this and is it a ver yserious concern until it is fixed? Here is a picture I took: http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2238/imag0063k.jpg

stick it with a straight pin, if it is paint it will go through, if it is glass the pin won't go through. if it is because of a fuel leak the fuel will leak out and you will know. looks like paint blister to me . have seen this a lot.

Evolultion Eze RG -a two place side by side-200 Knots on 200 HP. A&P / pilot for over 30 years