Wheel Pant Fix

daveb

A new set of pants need a little work. The two halves require some pushing and shoving to get them togther as the lip on the rear halves don’t quite match the front halves. Once togther, there are significant gaps in the join which are nowhere near straight.

One method might be to get the front half square, muscles them togther and fill in the gaps on the back half with flox (or micro) with a release agent on the front side. Once the cut-out for the wheel is made it would be easier to flex the two halves together, maybe?

Another method might be to grind out the lip on the back halves get the two surfaces square and build in a new lip although how you’d lay it up on the inside I’m not sure.

I’m new to this, any input would be appreciated.

post-1364-141090167999_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090168003_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090168006_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090168009_thumb.jpg

post-1364-141090168015_thumb.jpg

Dave

VH-JZE

Can't see "which" wheelpants they are, but I had similar with my "james" pants.

Once the tyre cutout was made it all went somewhat easier ... that said, they are still not fitted...

There is some very valuable advise available. I'll look for the links :)

regards

cvh

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

Sand the flange square first, then treat the cosmetics on the joggle. The flange is on the front half of the wheel pant. The joggle is aft. See my finishing page for how to treat flanges and joggles.

My suggestion would be the square the flange first, complete the entire wheel pant installation, then addess the consmetics. You'll have more cosmetic work to do than just the cosmetics on the joggle.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

I think you need to get the rear segment squared up first. My approach woud be to cut a wood template of the desired shape (inside rear segment) heat up that segment (oven? Black Plasti in the sun) and them work your template in place.

If you can get the front segment (with the template installed) then do so and heat the front, other wise heat it first and then fit.

Once cooled, everything should retain it's shape.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

When the wheel pant halves come out of the mold, the flanges on both halves are left longer than needed. The person who does the rough cut to remove the excess material is not paying attention to cutting the flanges straight and square. It's your job to do that. ;) The wheel pants will not mate to each other until you adjust the width of the flanges and square them up relative to each other.

If you ordered from Sam James, the instructions mention this.

What is "truth" are the indentations on each half where the joggles (flange and receiver) will eventaully line up to each other. These indentations are molded into each half.

What you're supposed to do is (1) read instructions thoroughly; (2) denote where the level lines are supposed to be; then (3) work the width of the flanges on BOTH halves of the wheel pants until you can get the halves to mate with the water lines perfectly straight. It is a slow, iterative process. Then and only then will it do you any good to start figuring out what to cut out of the wheel pant halves to fit around the gear leg and the tire.

Wayne Hicks

Cozy IV Plans #678

http://www.ez.org/pages/waynehicks

But Wayne, you do need to put them together to get the line to position these ... what did I miss?

I live in my own little world! but its OK, they know me here!

Chris Van Hoof, Johannesburg, South Africa operate from FASY (Baragwanath)

Cozy Mk IV, ZU-CZZ, IO-360 (200hp) 70x80 prop

They look good Dave, happy to be getting rid of the clogs?

Mark Spedding - Spodman
Darraweit Guim - Australia
Cozy IV #1331 -  Chapter 09
www.mykitlog.com/Spodman
www.sites.google.com/site/thespodplane/the-spodplane