newbie on canardzone

Hi, from Europe

I was keen on canard for a long time.( 15years :cool: ). Few months ago I decided to cross the line and I bought a long ez. I needed to overhaul the engine due to cracked cylinders :sad:

Today, engine is ready to work, cokpit has been repaint but I need to rebuilt the electric circuit.... there is work left! :D

I hope to get a lot of advices from forum.

Overtorque

Hi, from Europe

I was keen on canard for a long time.( 15years :cool: ). Few months ago I decided to cross the line and I bought a long ez. I needed to overhaul the engine due to cracked cylinders :sad:

Today, engine is ready to work, cokpit has been repaint but I need to rebuilt the electric circuit.... there is work left! :D

I hope to get a lot of advices from forum.

Overtorque

Welcome to the backward flying flock:)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

You don't neccessarily need to OH the engine due to a cracked cylinder---you could just replace the cylinder. For me, the big consideration would be how bad are the cam lobes. If the lobes are pitted or shot, you will need to crack the case open to replace----and then you might as well OH.

The other consideration is if you have a lot of time on the engine----or it was sitting around for a long time.

Back to the cracked cylinder---why did it crack? Was it getting too hot? I will bet that you don't have CHTs on on cylinders. If not, CHTs all around is pretty cheap insurance. If temps are hot or uneven, there is plenty written about how to get them under control.

Hi,

My first post was a little bit incomplete...;)

About the engine overhaul: After purchase, I wanted an accurate idea about the state of the engine. I opened it and I the situation was the following:

- cam shaft pitted

- tappets pitted

- valves pitted

- cylinders cracked: 3 with 8mm and the last one with 43mm

As I wish to fly a lot and far, I decided to have my engine overhauled.

About the reason to explain the cracked cylinders, I suppose that the previous owner use to perform high speed descent with throttle fully aft.... the plane is CHT sensor equipped, so it make me think about a fast thermic change that would damage cylinders.

Now, I'm working on new electric installation and new instrument panel, I will post some questions about wiring and breakers protection.

Overtorque