Looking at Long EZ, where to start

I've been looking at building a Long EZ, and even looked at a few projects but would prefer to start from scratch on this project. I know the plans are no long available and I understand templates can be downloaded from various websites (Open Ez) and copies of the manuals can be purchased from TAF. However, is anyone building the aircraft like this or is everyone working from original plans? I thought in order to certify the aircraft with the FAA the plans would have to be serialized to the specific builder?

I know it's difficult to find a set of plans these days for these aircraft, but just trying to figure out if one can still be built legally.

Thanks

I'm building with original plans but I think JTest is building via the Open-EZ Terf CD.

I believe the Terf CD does not include the Roncz Canard mod.

I'm not sure as to the larger rudder & hidden belhorn plans.

You'll want to build with the new canard which is doable with input from the forum.

My advice ....... get the CD & buy some foam.

T Mann - Loooong-EZ/20B Infinity R/G Chpts 18

Velocity/RG N951TM

Mann's Airplane Factory

We add rocket's to everything!

4, 5, 6, 7, 8. 9, 10, 14, 19, 20 Done

Marc will certainly correct me on this if I misstate my understading, however, I do not believe the FAA cares if you have properly purchased plans. Which, BTW, come up for sale somewhat routinly on EBay, here as well as other sources.

You are the manufacture and can build whatever bird you wish, how you wish from generaly any source you wish and call it what you wish (like the OpenEZ guys/gals are doing. If I understand, while a rewrite, they started with old Rutan plans as a starting point.) NOW that being said, the owners of the copyright on the plans may have a cause of action against you should they wish to persue it. There are reasons they may, such as to protect the Intelectual Property rights in other ways.

I believe the FAA main concern is that you abide by the "major portion" rule (commonly known, but technically inacurate as the 51% rule.) and for your recreation and education.

DISCLAIMER. While I am an attorney, I am NOT your attorney, being a cop is much more fun. This is just LAY opinion without any research other than hopefully paying attetion in the past. Consult the FAR's and/or your attorney, or even the FAA (FAA-we are not happy until you are not happy)should you feel the need. Remember, CYA has another meaning than just "Call Your Attorney. FWIW and I could be WRONG;) :o:D

All the best,

Cpl Christopher Barber, JD

Badge 330

Bellaire Police Departmet

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

I've been looking at building a Long EZ, and even looked at a few projects but would prefer to start from scratch on this project. I know the plans are no long available and I understand templates can be downloaded from various websites (Open Ez) and copies of the manuals can be purchased from TAF. However, is anyone building the aircraft like this or is everyone working from original plans?

Yes, I am building from the OpenEZ/TerfCD combination. You do have to keep a close eye when printing the templates at a printing facility, making sure they are the correct size. Jon put some measurements on the templates so you can check for accuracy. Lots of forums and list with very smart people out there to help in our journey through the process. Don't forget Rough River!

I thought in order to certify the aircraft with the FAA the plans would have to be serialized to the specific builder?

Chris is correct, the FAA does not give a hoot about serial numbers, not needed at all. Draw up your own set if you'd like.

I know it's difficult to find a set of plans these days for these aircraft, but just trying to figure out if one can still be built legally.

Thanks

It's perfectly legal and there are a lot of partially built planes out there. It will take some time to find the right project for the right price, but it can be worth the effort. I understand wanting to build it yourself though. Jump on in, the water is fine, plenty of life guards on hand and we're not getting any younger.

You might contact David Orr aka "Beagle" at canardfinder@att.net he'll be able to help you find one (if available) in your area.

Bruce

Best regards,

Bruce Sturgill

http://www.pursuitofflight.com

is anyone building the aircraft like this or is everyone working from original plans? I thought in order to certify the aircraft with the FAA the plans would have to be serialized to the specific builder?

Who are you? Where are you? We like to know who we're talking to. :-)

Rutan has said, in effect, that people may build his design and he will not try to stop them. He probably does not want the liability involved with supporting and licensing his design. It's small potatoes for him these days but involves big liability so it's his way of saying "you're on your own". So build-away and send him some anonymous cash when you're flying.

The FAA does not care where you got plans or care about serial numbers. They do care a bit whether or not you followed any plans; they want to look harder at modifications, although you can modify as you wish.

-Kent
Cozy IV N13AM-750 hrs, Long-EZ-85 hrs and sold

I'm building with original plans but I think JTest is building via the Open-EZ Terf CD.

I believe the Terf CD does not include the Roncz Canard mod.

I'm not sure as to the larger rudder & hidden belhorn plans.

You'll want to build with the new canard which is doable with input from the forum.

My advice ....... get the CD & buy some foam.

The TERF-CDs do contain the Roncz plans, however printing them to scale would be difficult. There are workarounds though.

A RAF license was for the build one Long EZ PER PLANS from that one set of plans. That is what RAF supported.

Reality is, there are NO strictly PER PLANS Long EZs anywhere except N79RA. NONE. ZERO.

My aeroplane is a Blackler Long EZ, not a Rutan Long EZ.

I am proud of the lineage, the engineering Burt did, and respect it without reservation but all Long EZs are different.

ADVICE: Get a second hand set of plans, build the test peices, get them checked by an experienced and QUALITY builder and If you like the process, go build one. You will not regret it.

Cheers,

Wayne Blackler

IO-360 Long EZ

VH-WEZ (N360WZ)

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA

http://v2.ez.org/feature/F0411-1/F0411-1.htm