F-22 Doubler

GuinnessGuy74

After a nice Holiday break with the Family, I am moving right along on CH 4. Finished the seatback, the IP, and f-28. Did the Forward side of F-22 last night, and I am doing the Aft side tonight.

I have a question about the doubler. In the plans is says "...press the doubler in place, micro the aft face of the doubler, and glass with 2 plies of BID and one ply of UND hoizontally, lapping 1 in. onto previously glassed area (Fig 9)."

Fig 9 shows the glass extending 1 in. below the doubler, but not to the sides. I realize there is only 3/8" off to the sides, but does it not get glassed?

The doubler is held in place then by just the wet glass underneath it and 1 inch of BID overlapping the bottom?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Cozy MKIV #1565 (Chapter 6)

Charlotte, NC

No glass on the side, it'll be clear when you install F22 on the fuse sides.

Weight the doubler down. Thin strip of peel ply, some release fabric (poly sheeting), a board, then a few weights. I used boxes of nail gun nails. Leave room so you can still squeege out the 1" lap.

I found the bottom edge of the doubler needed to be razor sharp. The top of that angle slightly radiused.

Rick

Rick Hall; MK-IV plans #1477; cozy.zggtr.org

Build status: 1-7, bits of 8-9, 10, 14 done! Working on engine/prop/avionics.