Damaged Infinity Retractable Gear for Sale

All,

I have a set of damaged Infinity Retracts for sale. Presently, the gear IS NOT in flight-worthy condition.

I purchased this set about 6 months ago, with the intention of studying the gear design and possibly repairing or remanufacturing the gear. However, I just got a brand-new set of Infinity Retracts, so I won’t be needing these any more.

A little about the gear:

This came from Bill Oertel aircraft which crash-landed last year. The gear was damaged in the crash. Here is a basic summary of significant damage:

- Main Strut tubes slightly bent

- Wheel half-forks broken off

- Attach plate twisted

- Sizzor arms bent slightly

- Internal oleo sliding/locking tubes slightly bent

- Hydraulic actuators damaged

Possibilities for Repair/Remanufacture:

I've completely dissembled and inspected the gear, and was confident that I could re-manufacture all the damaged components. Despite what a lot of people say online, the basic design is not especially complex, and an accomplished machinist should certainly be able to re-manufacture the parts.

The most expensive part of the gear is the Trunion Heads (the part that the gear rotates on to retract). From my initial inspection, these appear to be undamaged, though I make no claims as to their flight-worthiness. They have broken free from the attach plate (this was glued on, not welded, which probably prevented them from being excessively damaged) You would of course need to inspect them closely w/UV or other techniques to examine for microscopic cracks before deciding whether to remanufacture or reuse the part.

Most other parts are basically a series of nesting AL and steel tubes, turned on a lathe to correct diameter and o-ring quality surface, with groves for locking rings and o-rings. Milling would be required to build some replacement parts, such as the scissor arms, internal locking mechanism, half-forks, and attach plate, but most parts would be made on a lathe. I had planned to use the original damaged parts as templates, take exact measurements, and make new parts to spec.

I don’t have an estimate of what it would cost to re-manufacture the damaged parts. Depending on your skill and tools, you could probably make some of the parts yourself, and farm out others. You might even be able to order some parts direct from JD, depending on whether he has any of the parts in stock.

However, considering the wait for new Infinity Retracts can be 4 years or more, this might be a good option for getting the gear sooner, and would be an interesting project. I originally purchased these as an insurance policy, in case I was never able to get a new set of Infinity gear.

Best offer gets the gear. Send me an IM and I'll send you some pics of the dissassembled parts.

Lastly, I’ll state again: This gear is sold “as is” in a damaged, non-flight worthy condition.

• 2 weeks later...

The gear is still for sale -- sorry for delays in responding to some of you.

I broke my camera last week, so I haven't been able to take/send pictures of the gear to you. I'll have a new one this weekend and will send pix to everyone who has requested them, and will also post them on this forum.

Bear with me -- I'll send you all responses tomorrow.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the pictures of the damaged gear, dissassembled into the main component parts. (other gear leg in basically same condition, but is missing the half-fork "foot".)

I inspected the Trunnions again. As I said before, they appear undamaged. These are the most expensive parts, most difficult to machine, so that's fortunate.

As you can see, all the parts are in good enough condition that you should be able to take dimensions / use them as templates, and re-manufacture the parts to spec.

If you are interested, please send me an IM with your best offer. I would like to receive at least $500.

post-529-141090162489_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090162492_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090162496_thumb.jpg

post-529-141090162499_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...

I am interested in looking at pictures of the gear. I am in need of a retractible nose gear for a kit i am getting and I have to either disign it or rebuild something from something else.

Loren email at plko56@yahoo.com

I have a set of damaged Infinity Retracts for sale. Presently, the gear IS NOT in flight-worthy condition.

I purchased this set about 6 months ago, with the intention of studying the gear design and possibly repairing or remanufacturing the gear. However, I just got a brand-new set of Infinity Retracts, so I won’t be needing these any more.

A little about the gear:

This came from Bill Oertel aircraft which crash-landed last year. The gear was damaged in the crash. Here is a basic summary of significant damage:

- Main Strut tubes slightly bent

- Wheel half-forks broken off

- Attach plate twisted

- Sizzor arms bent slightly

- Internal oleo sliding/locking tubes slightly bent

- Hydraulic actuators damaged

Possibilities for Repair/Remanufacture:

I've completely dissembled and inspected the gear, and was confident that I could re-manufacture all the damaged components. Despite what a lot of people say online, the basic design is not especially complex, and an accomplished machinist should certainly be able to re-manufacture the parts.

The most expensive part of the gear is the Trunion Heads (the part that the gear rotates on to retract). From my initial inspection, these appear to be undamaged, though I make no claims as to their flight-worthiness. They have broken free from the attach plate (this was glued on, not welded, which probably prevented them from being excessively damaged) You would of course need to inspect them closely w/UV or other techniques to examine for microscopic cracks before deciding whether to remanufacture or reuse the part.

Most other parts are basically a series of nesting AL and steel tubes, turned on a lathe to correct diameter and o-ring quality surface, with groves for locking rings and o-rings. Milling would be required to build some replacement parts, such as the scissor arms, internal locking mechanism, half-forks, and attach plate, but most parts would be made on a lathe. I had planned to use the original damaged parts as templates, take exact measurements, and make new parts to spec.

I don’t have an estimate of what it would cost to re-manufacture the damaged parts. Depending on your skill and tools, you could probably make some of the parts yourself, and farm out others. You might even be able to order some parts direct from JD, depending on whether he has any of the parts in stock.

However, considering the wait for new Infinity Retracts can be 4 years or more, this might be a good option for getting the gear sooner, and would be an interesting project. I originally purchased these as an insurance policy, in case I was never able to get a new set of Infinity gear.

Best offer gets the gear. Send me an IM and I'll send you some pics of the dissassembled parts.

Lastly, I’ll state again: This gear is sold “as is” in a damaged, non-flight worthy condition.

• 10 years later...

I know this was some time ago but wondering if they are still available??  Looking for a set of these please let me know if you have any leads to anyone who has them and interested in selling.

Thanks,

Richard

rrmanceau@yahoo.com

619 729-8861