Strutting about.

Edge 513

Like several builders from a year ago, I cut my nose gear strut longer than plans. I left mine 1 inch longer. Of course that meant I moved my nose wheel box aft 1 inch as well. Not a big deal. It worked out well.

What I am asking though, is, at the time there were discussions about canard incidence and contributing to enhanced rotation. Since many of the early builders/flyers had built their strut to plans length there was some hope that a canard incidence change might contribute...Marc changed his canard recently and did not notice a benefit. I am wondering if the longer strut is the real ticket here? It would seem so. But as to optimum length?

Somebody left theirs the full length from Featherlight- YOW- that like an inch and a half. Since theres not a lot of posting recently, I am just bringing up this, as I have wondered about it. Theres some guys coming up to chapter 13 and might want the thoughts on how much strut to strut with.:)

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.

Like several builders from a year ago, I cut my nose gear strut longer than plans. I left mine 1 inch longer. Of course that meant I moved my nose wheel box aft 1 inch as well. Not a big deal. It worked out well.

What I am asking though, is, at the time there were discussions about canard incidence and contributing to enhanced rotation. Since many of the early builders/flyers had built their strut to plans length there was some hope that a canard incidence change might contribute...Marc changed his canard recently and did not notice a benefit. I am wondering if the longer strut is the real ticket here? It would seem so. But as to optimum length?

Somebody left theirs the full length from Featherlight- YOW- that like an inch and a half. Since theres not a lot of posting recently, I am just bringing up this, as I have wondered about it. Theres some guys coming up to chapter 13 and might want the thoughts on how much strut to strut with.:)

Thinking about the elongation of the strut, a question comes to what is left of my mind.

It seems as if the leverage on the nose attach points is quite huge in the standard arrangement. extending the gear can only increase the forces, possibly greatly. How will extending the nose strut, all on the wheel end influence the strength necessity of the attachment points/fixtures???

Has anybody who has done this experienced any difficulties in terms of problems with the gear???

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

Now thats a good point Rich, and I can say that I know of no negative comments that I have heard, either before I did it or after.

Last month Marc was up doing an EAA tech inspection on my bird and looked at my strut and assembly.[it is deeper/thicker due to the deeper nose profile due to the longer nose and my leaving the pivot point same as plans to keep the plans extension geometry].

Anyway, anybody...answering/contributing to Rich's point would be appreciated.

post-4661-141090160097_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090160103_thumb.jpg

post-4661-141090160109_thumb.jpg

Self confessed Wingnut.

Now think about it...wouldn't you rather LIVE your life, rather than watch someone else's, on Reality T.V.?

Get up off that couch!!! =)

Progress; Fuselage on all three, with outside and inside nearly complete. 8 inch extended nose. FHC done. Canard finished. ERacer wings done with blended winglets. IO540 starting rebuild. Mounting Spar. Starting strake ribs.