biodiesel

altruistic

• 4 weeks later...

Stay tuned i am going to soak green blue any brown foam and a sample of epoxy in some bio and see what happens. Any reaction with epoxy may occur over a long period of time so even this isn't a green light to putting bio into epoxy tanks

:confused: Not getting it. Is there suddenly a wave of canards putting on diesel engines? Aside from that, what's in biodiesel? Mike L. and I went to Rough River fly in with his Mercedes burning it all the way. It was nothing more than fryer drippings. I'm assuming animal fat and butter mostly.

There is cooking oil and then there is boideisel. Biodeisel is refined and contains lye and perhaps other chemicals??? Some older cars and trucks can experience problems with dissolved hoses and gaskets, however newer autos use more synthetic materials that work fine with bio-d.

I have been running BioD in my Jetta since I bought it in 05. I have been to classes that taught us how to make it at home.....while VERY interesting, I already have enough hobbies.....like building my plane:cool2:

BioDiesel IS DIESEL, but made from bio product instead of petroleum. It is rifined but in a very basic way...again, easily made at home from waste oil from you local greasy spoon. Or, IIRC, you may be able to get about 300 gallons from an acre of rapeseed oil, or about 3000 gallons from an acre of certain algies (It may be barrels, not gallans per acres???). It does have more solvant/cleaner factor to it than DinoDiesel and can acutally remove deposits that DinoD leaves behind after being used for years. As a result, if you start running it in a car that has used Dino for years, it is a good idea to carry around a fuel filter to replace in the field when the deposits flow off and clog the filter. Once it is cleaned out you should be fine and can use both Dino and Bio together with no problems.

BioD and DinoD can be mixed in any proportion and BioD could be easily used with the current infrastructure. I am not any sort of enviromentalist liberal type, as a matter of fact I am a Liberatarian. I do not have any "agenda" for choosing to run BioDiesel other than it is a great way to "Flip the bird to OPEC one tank at a time":P

Even with the current raping of Diesel drivers at the pump with pricing 15-25% higher than gasoline (esp annoying since Diesel is a byproduct of gas. big demand across the pond is used as one of the excuses, uh, I mean reason for this), I am still getting around 100% better milage with my Jetta than I did with my Jaguar XJ. The Jag got about 21 mixed where as when I did my calcutations yesterday for the Jetta I got 44 mpg in mixed driving. In fairness, I must concede to get that kind of mpg I must drive at about 65 mph...when I zoom up to driving around 75 - 80 (yeah, the badge does sometimes ad to the lead foot syndrome) my mph drops to 35mpg.:rolleyes:;)

NOW, all that being said, are we having a canard or any Experimental aircraft that has actually found a solid diesel engine for aircraft use?????? Obviosuly I am a proponant of BioD as a fuel but have not really seen anything but speculation as to an appropriate engine in the 200 hp range. I believe they are usually too heavy. It is my understanding the rotary has had some success with diesels but I am not clued in to the details, however, I believe that Mistral is developing a rotary for use with JetA/Diesel.

Finally, I read in the paper just last week, that a University in MN, IIRC, has just come up with BioGASOLINE (price and Exxon assasians, may be a short term issue of this technology:D )

FWIW.

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding here as to what BioDiesel is and isn't.

BioDiesel is a fuel for compression ignition engines (i.e. diesel engines), it is therefore a diesel fuel by definition, but that doesn't make it the same as what is commonly known as diesel fuel, so to say "BioDiesel IS Diesel" simply isn't the case, it's chemically different and comes from different feedstocks.

Most Biodiesel that is commercially produces is the methyl ester of rapeseed (canola to Canadians) oil. More generically, it is transesterified vegitable oil, and can be made with alcohols other than methanol.

Home production of Biodiesel is very possible, but does involve some nasty things (including the above mentioned lye which is caustic, and methanol which causes blindness if absorbed by the body in significant amounts and can be absorbed through skin contact). But it's not accurate to say that it's just veggie oil with some lye and methanol added. It's processed with these things, and the byproducts must be carefully washed out of the fuel.

Anyhow, there are significant differences for us as regards our fuel systems. Biodiesel is a sufficiently strong solvent that mixtures greater than B20 in auto use can re-dissolve crud in your fuel tank and drop it into your fuel filter, attack natural rubber and certain other synthetic polymers that diesel won't, and both gels and reaches the CFPP temperature at a higher temperature than regular diesel and much higher than Jet-A(1).

I happen to think it's a great fuel, but it's differences from regular diesel or Jet-A need to be fully considered before pouring it into the tank.

Craig K.

Cozy IV #1457

building chapter seven!

http://www.maddyhome.com/canardpages/pages/chasingmars/index.html

Caution!!! boidiesel will desolve some materials (ie rubber hoses etc.) that regular diesel will not. I suggest you test the bio-d on a samples of the epoxy material in question just to be sure.

Were we talking about rubber hoses, I thought it was just epoxy?:confused:

Veggie oil on strake tanks will not hurt the epoxy and smells like fried chicken when burned. I'd use Jeffco to line the tanks first if you're using any kind of methanol product.

I am still getting around 100% better milage with my Jetta than I did with my Jaguar XJ.

Chris, does lawyer = Jag and cop = Jetta? :D

Chris, does lawyer = Jag and cop = Jetta? :D

You caught on to that huh?

The reality is I sleep much better without the pains of "self-unemployment" and the cash flow roller coaster of full time private practice. Plus being a cop is not only fun, it is often funny AND they let me drive fast and carry a Taser ;)

Now my lawyer fees pay for toys...like the Velo, my Honda Shadow Sabre, my classic 65 Mustang ragtop and dating a girl 14 years my junior........life could be worse :cool:

All the best,

Chris

Christopher Barber

Velocity SE/FG w/yoke. Zoom, zoom, zoom.

www.LoneStarVelocity.com

Live with Passion...