landing gear

Aaron Burhoe

Hello all,

I am building a Giles and am considering making my own gear instead of using the boat anchor aluminum gear. I’d really like to see the layup schedule for the gear that is used on an EZ or Cozy. Would it be possible for someone to email me the section on the landing gear? All help and advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Aaron

Hello all,

I am building a Giles and am considering making my own gear instead of using the boat anchor aluminum gear. I’d really like to see the layup schedule for the gear that is used on an EZ or Cozy. Would it be possible for someone to email me the section on the landing gear? All help and advice is appreciated. Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron,

The glass gear is no featherweight, even though it is provided by Feather lite.

You might want to get a comparison weighing.

Solid glass (processed sand) may, in fact be heavier than aluminum. The main difference might be the way that they handle the shock of landing (glass more gentle)

I Canardly contain myself!

Rich :D

How do these gear bows typically ship? Anyone? Can UPS or FedEx handle them? Anyone? I’m considering a cross country acquisition if the combination of costs offer a reasonable savings.

Let me update that: Just won a new Long-EZ main and noise gear on eBay for $200. Even if the shipping cost matched the gear cost, ME THINKS ME got a good deal! Maine to L.A., any guess as to the shipping costs?

How do these gear bows typically ship? Anyone? Can UPS or FedEx handle them? Anyone? I’m considering a cross country acquisition if the combination of costs offer a reasonable savings.

Feather Lite shipped me my bow for about $50 +/- FedEX. I actually had to chase the driver around town a little to get it because she missed me at home. The bow was wrapped in cardboard and plastic. It fit in the back seat of my Hyundia.

Let me update that: Just won a new Long-EZ main and noise gear on eBay for $200. Even if the shipping cost matched the gear cost, ME THINKS ME got a good deal! Maine to L.A., any guess as to the shipping costs?

Greetings Neo,

One thing of which to be aware is that both the main gear and the nose are cut down from what is supplied by Featherlite. Are the ones you bought virgin or cut. If cut are they cut to the dimensions that are appropriate. Why did they go up for sale?

For shipping they can be wrapped in some sort of protective foam type plastic and wrapped with shipping paper and taped with a shipping label attached. The nose gear can be taped inside of the main gear before wrapping.

This is a rather unwieldy package but it works.

Greetings Neo,

One thing of which to be aware is that both the main gear and the nose are cut down from what is supplied by Featherlite. Are the ones you bought virgin or cut. If cut are they cut to the dimensions that are appropriate. Why did they go up for sale?

Thanks for the tip. From what I gather, they are unaltered and still retain an original shipping lable. These gear were part of a two-ship buddy-system build circa '95. One made it into the air and is still flying while the other languished and hit the auction block for lack of opportunity to complete.

For shipping they can be wrapped in some sort of protective foam type plastic and wrapped with shipping paper and taped with a shipping label attached. The nose gear can be taped inside of the main gear before wrapping.

This is a rather unwieldy package but it works.

Sounds about right, the seller wanted to go full tilt and build a crate. :envy: After a hardy Woooo Nelly from me, I suggested he just get an old cardboard box and cut it into long strips, then just wrap it like a candycane and TTSOOI(tape the S*%# out of it) Looks like I'll get my gear to my door for less than $300.

Speaking of gear: Does any know what the current source for the nose gear assembly is, nosewheel-fork-swivel?

Feather Lite shipped me my bow for about $50 +/- FedEX. I actually had to chase the driver around town a little to get it because she missed me at home. The bow was wrapped in cardboard and plastic. It fit in the back seat of my Hyundia.

I still may end up buying directly from FL. I like the concept of New NEW parts.

Martin, if you have time and don't mind, could you break out a tape and measure the gear you received from FL, leg to leg along the outside, and also post a pre-cut/tooling weight? I think that would be helpful info to add as ref' to a DATA base for the Open project. I'll do the same as soon as my previousely owned New gear arrive. Thanks in advance. :D

Neo,

I believe that the nose gear assembly is available from two sources.

1. Jack Wilhelmson

2. Cozy girrls-- I know that they were working on it.

The girrls also manufacture all of the metal components of the aircraft. Their work is so good, I almost want to take out all of the Brock stuff I have in the craft and replace it.

Look up their web site. They are a wonderful resource for us.